Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why can't I connect to other computers?

Three machines, two of them hard-wired to the router, one on wi-fi. All Win 7, two home one pro. Second hard-wired machine is being built for sister-in-law (called new). Either No permission to access shared folders / drives or "Network path was not found".

Why can't I connect to other computers? Here are the answers to Help and support's questions

No homegroup, all have the same workgroup name.

Drives and folders have been shared, everything for everybody under advanced share, and their names show up when I can expand the network under a computer name.

Network discovery is most assuredly ON.

Password protect is disabled on all machines.

I have never told any of my computers about the router or its updates, wouldn't know how or where.

Wi-fi can see me (pro) and get access to Public folders, no permission for shared folders/drives.

The new build cannot see wi-fi, and has sporadically had access to public folders on pro but, now no access, "The network path was not found. Troubleshooting cannot find...."

The network map shows pro and new connected to a switch on both of those computers. The path is found on the map but not when trying to connect. The map on wi-fi shows everybody with a big ? between wi-fi and the switch.

Network in windows explorer shows pro and wi-fi but not new. I suspect it's a switch set wrong but i don't know which one.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could give this a try but as always before making any changes, create a restore point first.

You may get a pop up to say that this file could be harmful but have downloaded it myself first without any problems.

Download/run http://download.bleepingcomputer.com...aredAccess.reg

Go Start - type regedit - press enter and accept the UAC then navigate -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\SharedAccess

Right click on SharedAccess and select Permissions

Click on Add then type Everyone and select Full control - OK

NB - Not sure why services appears as service es but have seen this present this way before when posting a similar key - there's obviously no gap.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-07 at 05:53.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The lack of password protection when sharing may be an issue. I would advise making sure passwords are configured to be used.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    See if THIS thread is helpful. Quite a number of solutions are listed there.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is an existential question. Why am I (why are we, considering the other posts I have seen) having network problems with Windows 7 on two or three computers at home while millions of people use it networked without problems in corporate settings?

Only Ruirib's suggestion to me is simple, Sodo15's requires a huge registry hack and I don't yet understand the Microsoft forum. XP was simple (or, at least, I made it work so didn't notice the complexity).

This makes no damned sense to me.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try just giving Full Control to Everyone for Shared Access - that's straight forward enough and if you are worried about screwing up, create a restore point first.

But if you are transferring files between computers then have a look at Windows Easy Transfer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...-easy-transfer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-07 at 17:45.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Try just giving Full Control to Everyone for Shared Access - that's straight forward enough and if you are worried about screwing up, create a restore point first.
    I have already done this in advanced sharing; everything for everybody.

When I started today (Sunday) none of the computers can see anything except the wireless printer.

Ruirib's suggestion to go the password route solves nothing.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There appears to be a full tutorial in Post #7 of http://www.eightforums.com/network-s...ee-others.html but when setting up a reserved (static IP) address in the router for each computer, you will also need their Wireless MAC (Physical) addresses.

This can be found by opening a command prompt and entering ipconfig /all in each computer.

You can set their reserved IP addresses as the ones the router's DHCP normally assigns each for Preferred IPv4, but have all of the machines switched on when you do this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    Ruirib's suggestion to go the password route solves nothing.
    Have you added passwords? Have you created one account with the same username and password in each computer and tried accessing the shared assets with it?

And finally it's always easier to help when we know as much as we possibly can, what is happening in each computer. So, what have you done, what error messages do you get?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Curiouser and curiouser.

The workgroup is MAYO having three computers on a Linksys E900 router:
    deskstone is primary, hardwired to the router, Windows 7 pro
    patdow is new, is hardwired to the router, Win 7 home
    elaines is in my wife's office, wi-fi, win 7 home

All have shared folders or drives, sharing is everything for everybody
    Password is off.

In Windows explorer under network:
    Elaines can see deskstone but not itself, can access public folders, no permission for shared
    patdow can see deskstone but not itself, can access public folders, no permission for shared
    deskstone can see itself, not elaines or patdow

In Network and sharing network map:
    Elaines (wi-fi) shows all three computers.
    Patdow shows itself and deskstone (both wired)
    deskstone shows itself and patdow

I cannot see either remote computer from the master but yesterday, when I could, I did not have permission to access shared drives.

Both secondary computers can see and access public folders on deskstone but have no permission to access shared drives or folders.

Rui, I set-up the separate account "test" on all three machines giving them identical passwords.

In windows explorer under network:
    deskstone can see itself, same as before
    elaines can see deskstone and access ONE shared folder but not the others or the shared drive.
    patdow (wired) can see deskstone AND can access most but not all of the shared folders and drives.

I'm going back to sneaker-net, at least it was reliable.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Dan,

Check the permissions on the shared folders / drives and make sure test has read / write permissions to all of them (or a different set, depending on what you want to be able to do).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger OS2_87_Dinosaur_Gizmo_Fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    `
    Dear Stonecherub - your solution is wonderful.
    (-: sneaker-net is a brilliant solution in a day where family members text each other while in the same house instead of interacting face to face! This will be a much healthier family solution and more secure.

Though, if the inconveniences force you back here ... sometimes purchasing a "friendly" windows network management interface tool can take away the high blood pressure and headaches that is frequently Windows home network management. Years ago, when in your situation, that is what I did and it was worth every cent in the long run and much more secure then the settings I had been using.

So curious ... what is stonecherub? Are you a Dr Who fan?
    Last edited by OS2_87_Dinosaur_Gizmo_Fan; 2014-09-09 at 01:59.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See post 2 at Troubleshooting file shares on a home network. It is old but has much good information and links that may help. Some of the links which specify XP will still apply to Windows 7.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your help. This issue has exceeded the time available so it's over.

Nothing I have done makes any sense, conditions change by the day. Yesterday, the network map on all three machines showed all of the computers, different from the day before. I still had partial permission, some shared folders were accessable while others were still forbidden.

To a scientist like me, magic means something I don't yet understand and, for this, I no longer care.

OS2_87_Dinosaur: Been there, done that, lost the war just like you.

My hobby is gravestones and I once lived in New England. One of the common decorative motifs of the 17-18th centuries was the winged cherub carved in slate - hence, stonecherub.

One of my wife's colleagues is a therapist with mother-daughter clients who got into an intractable fight texting between the kitchen and bedroom of the same house.

I digress - thanks, again, all who tried to help me.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stonecherub For This Useful Post:

Star Lounger OS2_87_Dinosaur_Gizmo_Fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    `
    ... wait a second ... don't leave yet ... you didn't answer the most important question:

are you a Dr Who fan?

(please forgive me ... since you probably have already considered this ... but it sounds like you were trying to do a lot of things at the same time ... hence the increased chances for confounding "side effects", though with networking doing a lot of things at the same time is supposed to be the status quo ... ha ha ... but did you try doing just one thing at a time? and save the wireless for last?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast