New Lounger
    Thanks

"Internet Explorer stopped working"

HP Pavilion DV6000
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A6-3400 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.40 GHz
    Hard drive; 625 GB, 63 GB used
    RAM: 4 GB

I am a professional PC troubleshooter. I've spent many hours on this trying to fix IE with many more steps that I have probably forgotten:

Error message:
    "Internet Explorer stopped working"....for three weeks. After two red X clicks it stops the program (IE all versions):

Along the way, I did the following in no particular order.

1. IE version 11: After much testing below, uninstalled using correct procedure (Windows features from CPL/Programs & Features).
    2. Originally I was advised that IE v10 was already installed, which is why I went back to IE v8 then IE v9, and now IE v10. Still getting same error message.

3. Removed all plug-ins, add-ons, extensions and toolbars.
    4. Reset to default settings. Changed the homepage.
    5. Google Chrome and Firefox work just fine.
    6. Turned off AVG (av software)
    7. Cleared programs from Startup.
    8. Cleared Temporary files using Ccleaner and other means. Also cleared the registry using Ccleaner.
    9. Ran Malwarebytes Antimalware; no threats detected.
    10. Ran sfc /scannow
    11. Uninstalled several recent Windows Security Updates.
    12. Uninstalled dubious programs: Magic desktop, Adobe Shockwave, etc.
    13. Updated Adobe Reader, Flash and Java to current versions.
    14. Ran Windows check disk (5-stage)
    15. Ran MSFT's FIXIT tools for browser to repair.
    16. Researched the Internet, expecially MSsupport for assistance. No special insight located.
    17. It will not boot to safemode (F8). Appears to be an HP convention for diagnostics.
    18. Looked at Windows Services. No special features turned off.
    19. The is a Recovery partion to Original Factory Restore and Minimal Restore (saves programs, I think). This might be the ultimate solution.
    20. Now the only Windows Update that is displayed is IE version 11. Should I try again?

This problem is frustrating, and should not be...Hello MSFT!

I need someone with real expertise and advice. Thanks in advance.

Zonnie

Thanks
    Have you tried a clean boot?

support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the clean boot doesn't identify any conflict, you can force a Safe Boot through msconfig, although F8 should have worked.

Go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Boot tab check the box for Safe Boot and that for either Minimal or Network and to revert from the permanent Safe Mode, check the radio button for Normal boot in msconfig.

HP Support Assistant's Diagnostics may find something to fix http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01916574 but the Anvi Browser Repair Tool has had some success http://www.anvisoft.com/browser-repair-tool.html

Before hitting the Repair button, click on the IE icon in the left pane and uncheck the option to reset the home page and then see if that can find anything untoward.

As it's IE that's playing up and you have run it in without add-ons mode and you have run http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie...nce_and_safety then open a command prompt as an admin and run sfc /scannow to see what that reports - even though you have already run a chkdsk /r.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick replies. Here is what I have done:

=== I did a clean boot as described at kb/929135. followed instructions with no apparent affect (improvement). IE was still inoperative. Inoperative means IE appears to open normally, but after a few seconds I get the error message, twice, then the programs shuts down.
    === Ran msconfig as mentioned by Sudo15. Went thru five or six restarts with no apparent affect.
    === I am a bit leery of Anvi Browser Repair Tool V2.0. From what I gather, I have already done the cleanup that is offered by the Anvi program. Let me know if you think otherwise.
    === Regarding ... Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 7). I will give it a shot. Hard to believe that HP diagnostics can resolve an IE issue, but you never know. More later

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Zonnie; 2014-09-07 at 13:22.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How did you do these that Anvi addresses - which is quite safe to use -

Repair File Association
    Restore IEXPLORE App path
    Fix Image File Execution Option
    Repair IE Related Protocol Defaults

And when I checked on Reset Socket Layered Services Provider, the command netsh winsock reset catalog came to mind which is run from the command prompt as an administrator - although I wouldn't have normally associated that command with a crashing IE - it's normally executed when Windows reports that it is unable to connect to websites or IE is sluggish in getting there.

So, give Anvi and the winsock command a try and see if either of they resolve the unstable IE.

HP Diagnostics can be handy if it's computer related, especially as you are unable to boot into Safe Mode etc. through F8.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-07 at 16:51.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Still no success:

=== Tried the netsh winsock reset to no avail. I think this is a network command fix. Chrome and Firefox connected successfully. Not IE.
    === Tried Anvisoft browser program. I found a few items for cleanup in all three browsers. Seems like a good tool for other purposes. The Anvisoft website has a lot of good utilities!

====================================
    I will now try to Update IE from version 10 to version 11.

Just finished. Getting the same error message. IE v11 is still broken.
    Last edited by Zonnie; 2014-09-07 at 19:31.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Given that it has been three weeks when this first started, you probably won't have any restore points going that far back.

If this is your own computer, had you downloaded anything around that time ?

I think the only place left to look would be in Event Viewer - while Reliability history will probably report it, it never seems to be able to find any solutions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This PC belongs to a client. I was told the problem started about three weeks ago.

The restore points are too far back for valid usage.

The Event viewer has not offered any help.

As mentioned above, IE crashes after a few seconds. The URL displays the following message (assuming Amazon is the home page):

res://ieframe.dll/acr.error#amazon.com,http//amazon.com/?tag=hp-us2-bar-20

The message in the body is:
    "When a website causes a failure or crash, Internet Explorer attempts to restore, it stops after two tries to avoid a an endless loop."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've been looking around to see if it was possible to re-register IE's files and came across http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...upted-fix.html.

The batch file commands copy & paste into Notepad so you won't have to type them out manually - but I think it would be best to create a restore point first before running it.

However, should it be that there is something as yet undiscovered that is running on the computer, Process Explorer should list that.

This latest version includes Virus Total but it has to be manually enabled by clicking on Options and hovering over VirusTotal.com and then check the box for Check VirusTotal.com.

While you are in Options, ensure that Verify Image Signature is also checked.

When VirusTotal.com is enabled, it will display a value/~50 in blue if good, but any with a high value/~50 in red will be suspect and a Google to determine what it is may be required before killing it.

Apparently, an alternative to tapping F8 as you switch on for Safe Mode etc. is to just hold F8 as you switch on should tapping the key not work, but tapping the spacebar as you switch on as an alternative to msconfig, also does it for some computers.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-08 at 08:03.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again.

Later this morning, I will try:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...upted-fix.html

and

Process Explorer v16.03

and

VirusTotal.com
    ========================

This morning I have:

=== Run MBAM's Chameleon. No threats detected.
    === Ran Microsoft's Malicious Removal Tool. No threats detected.
    === Reran three MSFT browser Fixit applets.
    === Disabled Java in the IE browser.
    === Reset to default settings again.
    === Downloaded two additional Windows Updates, after IE-11 was installed.
    === Searched HP diagnostics for assistance. No apparent help, other than original factory recovery.
    === Oddly, I am able to use IE to get to support.microsoft.com, without crashing. And I can open additional tabs from that location. But I can't get to say MSN.com or AOL.com or any other website in a third tab without crashing.

=== In process: Rerunning sfc /scannow

Zonnie

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Wonder if it's a Flash/ActiveX problem, but you would normally get a pop up alerting you for ActiveX and resetting IE to defaults would have also reset all zones in IE's Security.

While both MSN.com and AOL.com are heavy on graphics, Chrome uses it's own Flash and FF has its own plug-in for those - still

Hopefully re-registering iexplorer and/or Process Explorer will produce a fix.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-08 at 10:19.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This type of problem seems familiar; you've tried everything without success. I'm also a troubleshooter but don't call myself an expert, so when it gets to this point (most always with other people's computers), I usually suspect there was malware involved. I think the malware may have been removed, but changes remain that are nearly impossible to find. I'd try System Restore first. If all Restore points from before the problem hit are gone, then it's a sign of malware- unless older ones were simply replaced by newer ones. I've also used my Windows 7 Repair Disk with some success, but if all else fails, I have no hesitation to use either the Recovery partition or wipe the HD and re-install Windows 7. That way, I KNOW all problems will be fixed.

Thanks
    Have you tried running IE with add ons disabled?
    To check your browser add-ons

1.Start Internet Explorer 11 in No Add-ons mode by running the Run command from the Start menu, and then typing iexplore.exe -extoff into the box.

2.Check if Internet Explorer still crashes.
    If the browser doesn't crash, open Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the Tools menu, and click Manage Add-ons.

3.Click Toolbars and Extensions, click each toolbar or extension, clicking Disable to turn off all of the browser extensions and toolbars.

4.Restart Internet Explorer 11. Go back to the Manage Add-Ons window and turn on each item, one-by-one.
    After you turn each item back on, see if Internet Explorer crashes or slows down. Doing it this way will help you identify the add-on that's causing Internet Explorer to crash.
    After you've figured out which add-on was causing the problem, turn it off until you have an update from the manufacturer

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonnie View Post
    As mentioned above, IE crashes after a few seconds. The URL displays the following message (assuming Amazon is the home page):

res://ieframe.dll/acr.error#amazon.com,http//amazon.com/?tag=hp-us2-bar-20
    I got this frequently a few weeks ago, and intermittently since. It's a common error, with no silver bullet fix I could find. What's worked for me every time since is "SF IE Restorator", a bunch of little routines from Seven Forums:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...issues-ie.html
    --I've only needed to use the first tool, "Flush/Renew DNS IP", so far.

Win7 x64, IE11.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2014-09-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My situation may not imply, but IE stopped working for me too. Kept trying to connect, but failed. No message like "404", just blank white screen.

Same for Firefox. I run Win 8.1 Update.

Actually, problem began when I couldn't print wirelessly. Began last night. Continued this morning. Had things to do. Now, I checked Windows Update. I think I last checked updates Wed Sep 10 - there were none. Tonight, there were two -

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2975719)
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2989647)

Recap - couldn't print wirelessly, and IE and Firefox could not connect.

After the updates, all solved.

So, it was simple - I guess.

Good luck,
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast