Thread: Bluetooth ?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bluetooth ?

Ok newbie here needing help with Bluetooth. I am running windows 7 on an Acer Aspire I5,
    My laptop specs say it has Bluetooth and I want to connect my phone and a mouse so bought the windows for dummies book thinking it would explain in clear detail to a dummy like me. I followed the steps. "Establishing a Bluetooth Connection" SO step 1.... "1. Verify that your pc has Bluetooth working - Broadcasting so that other devices can see it." It says to open devices and printers and look for a Bluetooth device like the one shown in figure 2-7. then right click the Bluetooth device....... I do a search and my laptop cannot find either device. So This does not verify as per the instruction to see if Bluetooth is on and broadcasting on my laptop it is simply telling you how to connect to a device as there are no other instructions if the device cannot be located to explain how to verify Bluetooth is "broadcasting"

I need to know how to get the Bluetooth activated on the laptop... where and which folder/file it is in please as in pic 2-8 ( which come up ONLY when the Bluetooth device is found) which says allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this pc.

Would be very grateful for some help and clear instructions as to how to get to the folder. Many thanks for reading.
    Michael.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately some Notebook description of specifications leave out bits and pieces, I got a nice Gateway several years ago where the specs omitted the fact that Bluetooth was optional. Looking up yours on this page does say it has Bluetooth:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314150
    One thing to note, many time the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are on the same adapter, Wi-Fi has to be on for Bluetooth to work. It's the same on both of my Dell Notebooks and my HP Notebook. If the Bluetooth doesn't show in Device Manager, Network Adapters it is either not physically present or not turned on. And there may be a setting in the BIOS to Enable or Disable it and may give you a key combination of Fn + another F key to toggle it On or Off. If that is all working then it can be Paired with a Bluetooth device such as a mouse [what I use], a keyboard, a cellphone, some tablets, etc., check the instructions for the device wanting to use.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Run Device Manager and see if the BT adapter is installed.
    Start > Run > devmgmt.msc

If the adapter is missing or has a yellow exclamation mark you probably need to load drivers, from the Acer DVD / website.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    It would help to know the exact model of Acer Aspire (as I5, I guess, refers to the processor rather than a model range).

New Lounger
    Thanks

model

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    It would help to know the exact model of Acer Aspire (as I5, I guess, refers to the processor rather than a model range).
    I have 2 Acer Aspires one is a 4741g and Mine is a 5750, I get no joy from either Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul, little concerned now as it makes no listing with regard to Bluetooth there are three items

Atheros AR5B97 Wireless network adapter
    Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

No other listings under Network Adapters, there is nothing in yellow to indicate that it needs a driver or installation so unless one of these does the job or is hidden in some fashion I might not have Bluetooth even though it clearly states in specs I have.
    cheers Michael.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi will go look in the bios and see if it is there, I never been in the bios for my laptop or windows 7 only 98 and XP.

Some weeks ago before I bought the mouse I did notice in some folder / file something to do with Bluetooth but cannot recall where it was or how to get to it cheers Michael.

Thanks
    The Acer support site for the Aspire 5750 and Aspire 4741g show both have either Atheros or Broadcom Bluetooth. It also shows the Fn+F3 key combination toggles wireless communication on and off on both models.

It also looks like the Atheros AR5B97 Wireless network adapter has Bluetooth combined on the adapter. I don't suppose 'Bluetooth High Speed' has been disabled on the advanced tab of the adapter device manager page?
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-09-08 at 14:40.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi did the Fn+F3, it turned off my internet. So pressed again and it came back on. So that one's covered Rick. Just been into the device manager , Advanced tab and seen that the high speed Bluetooth is enabled. So it is part of the Atheros AR5B97 and it is installed. but will not connect so must be either disabled or needing to be somehow enabled in another page?? Michael

Also did a driver update and it is up to date..
    Last edited by Quattro610; 2014-09-08 at 17:49.

Thanks
    Go back to Device Manager, right-click on Atheros AR5B97 Wireless network adapter then choose Properties. On the Advanced tab check that Bluetooth hasn't been disabled.

atheros.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-09-08 at 17:55.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks I did look it is enabled... no joy with anything I look for, cheers for your help.

Thanks
    How about downloading and running Nir Sofer's BluetoothView? If Bluetooth IS working on your laptop(s) then it should detect nearby Bluetooth devices, even if not paired/connected.