New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2013 H&B Install questions

I have recently gotten a copy of Office 2013 Home and Business that I'm trying to install on a Surface Pro 3 for my wife's business. As the last version of Office that we used was 2003, I have a few questions that I hope you all might be able to help with.

1. How can I get the full version to install? I tried the standard install and got the Click to Run version. I then uninstalled and downloaded the disc files, created an image and installed from that offline. Same result got the Click to Run version. I've ordered a copy of the factory disc for backup and am willing to try that, but any help appreciated.

2. How can I absolutely prohibit Office programs from logging into Microsoft's servers? We want all work to be TOTALLY local to our systems with NO connection to MS, SkyDrive, etc. The Surface has been set up with a local logon id.

3. Will uninstalling the Microsoft OneDrive application (in Programs and Features) completely abort all connection to MS's cloud servers? Will it break anything else?

Thanks

Surface is running Win 8.1 Update 64bit fully updated

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The following is from the Office Frequently Asked Questions:

1.) " How do I install Office?

To install Office 365, visit www.office.com/myaccount on the PC or Mac that you want to install Office on, sign in with the Microsoft account that you used to purchase the subscription, and then follow the onscreen instructions to install Office.

To install an Office 2013 suite, follow the instructions provided on your Office packaging. In most cases, you will need to visit www.office.com/setup and follow the onscreen instructions to download the software to your computer."

The DVD back-up you ordered should be the full product.

2.) "Is Internet access required for Office?

Internet access is required to install and activate all the latest releases of Office suites and all Office 365 subscription plans. For Office 365 plans, Internet access is also needed to manage your subscription account, for example to install Office on other PCs or to change billing options. Internet access is also required to access documents stored on OneDrive, unless you install the OneDrive desktop app. You should also connect to the Internet regularly to keep your version of Office up to date and benefit from automatic upgrades. If you do not connect to the Internet at least every 39 days, your applications will go into reduced functionality mode, which means that you can view or print your documents, but cannot edit the documents or create new ones. To reactivate your Office applications, simply reconnect to the Internet.

You do not need to be connected to the Internet to use the Office applications, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, because the applications are fully installed on your computer."

Therefore, you can't absolutely prohibit the Office programs from contacting the Microsoft servers.

3.) Not necessarily. You can still save documents to OneDrive. It will NOT break anything to uninstall the application.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for the responses however in the interim I did subject myself to a very frustrating MS support experience which eventually got me the following points about my questions. I'll post them here in case anyone else is interested.

1. The question was actually about how to get the FULL version of Office to install. I've been more than successful at getting "Click to Run" to install. According to the support from MS, ordering the pre-prepared install DVD is the only way to install the full version. I thought this a little odd in that they allow you to download an install image, but I guess they're right as I only got the "Click to Run" from that as well.

2. I probably overstated my question here. I shouldn't have implied all MS servers, as the only intent is to have all produced content NOT migrated to MS servers for any reason. Obviously we will need updates, etc. and will allow such interaction. According to the MS support person, there are settings in Office to prevent storage of content on OneDrive, etc. I will have to dig into this and remain to be convinced. If anyone is clear on how to prevent any content storage on MS servers I'd appreciate any feedback.

3. Their response to uninstalling Microsoft OneDrive application was interesting. At first they said OneDrive could not be uninstalled. When I told them that there was an installed program in "Programs and Features" and that it seemed it could be uninstalled they responded that well yes, we could try that. Obviously I haven't uninstalled it yet, more research is needed.

Thanks again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

davelr (2014-09-08)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    1. Click-to-run has worked very well for me @ work & @ home. Always up-to-date - you get private fixes in addition to public fixes. Get anything new first if you care about that. But, if you really want a traditional install that is fine too.

2. See if How to remove personal OneDrive from the 'Save As' menu in Office 2013 helps.

3. The OneDrive application does very little. Uninstalling it won't hurt.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

davelr (2014-09-08)

Lounger
    Thanks
    This works well:
    Disabling SkyDrive by using the Registry Editor
    Launch the Registry Editor by opening the Run dialog box and entering regedit.
    When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\C ommon\SignIn.
    If the SignIn key doesn’t exist, create it by right-clicking on Common create a New Key SignIn.
    In the right pane of the SignIn key, create a new DWORD value named SignInOptions.
    Double-click on SignInOptions and change its value to 3. To restore SkyDrive functionality, simply set the SignInOptions value to 0.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to leonk For This Useful Post:

davelr (2014-09-18)