Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD+RW on Win8.1 - won't read on XP

I am still working my way through Win8.1.

I had been using an [old] notebook running XP and connected to the Internet.
    My wife uses a notebook NEVER connected to the Internet which runs her sewing/embroidery machine.

From time to time I have downloaded embroidery design files for her, cut a DVD (both regular and RW) and she would use them on her notebook.

With my new DELL Win8.1 pc, DVD+RW won't read on her XP.

I CAN make a CD that she can read.

But her notebook won't read a DVD+RW that I create using Win8.1. I must add that I did have a software product on the XP (that came with my XP Notebook) to create DVDs, CDs and DVD+RW's.

I researched this problem and learned that there are different UDF formats that XP can read, UDF 1.02, 1.5 and 2.01. I tried each and the DVD+RW still won't read. I also tried formatting the DVD+RW using the long-format process, the Quick Format, Erasing the files on the DVD+RW and making sure the DVD+RW was "closed" - msg returned by Win8.1 was "closing disk".

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul
    Last edited by PointFive; 2014-09-08 at 17:37.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If not using the same software on different versions of Windows there can be problems. I have Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator on all my Windows computers.

I always use only CD-R, DVD-R and DVD+R discs and occasionally DVD+R/DL discs, helps keep problems to a minimum. Using RW discs between various computers can be problematic at times even when closed/finalized.

Also setting the burn speeds to the same, usually slower, over the various computers helps. If her computer is older it may have a limit on the top speed but haven't seen that problem in a few years except on really old machines such as those running WinME and earlier.

Discs really aren't all that expensive, I get the CD-Rs in the 100 piece cakebox for $24-29 and the DVD+R or DVD-R in 50 piece cakebox for $29.95 at places like Office Max/Office Depot [same company now], Costco, Sam's Club or Staples when on sale.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-09-08 at 19:38.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-09-08)

Thanks
    Does her notebook have a USB socket? If so, you could use a usb memory stick to transfer the files. Probably a lot easier. Of course, if you're using the CDs/DVDs as a sort of backup, then it's not an option.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-09-09)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect that the hardware (optical drive) on some older XP computers may only be capable of reading CD's and not DVD's. I recall some XP computers as having a CD (reader/writer) and a DVD (reader only).

Rich

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rmonroe36 For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-09-09)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    I suspect that the hardware (optical drive) on some older XP computers may only be capable of reading CD's and not DVD's. I recall some XP computers as having a CD (reader/writer) and a DVD (reader only).

Rich
    That's very true. One thing that helps is that every Optical drive tray I've worked with that supported some type of DVD disc had it marked on the front of the tray. All the computers I've dealt with since WinVista came out have DVD support as the Windows install discs come on DVD. And they've all been capable of burning as it was needed to create the Factory Restore discs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-09-09)

Thanks
    I agree with Berton. Try DVD+R or DVD-R (read only) disks, or better, try CD-R.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-09-09)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Her XP drive is labeled "DVD ROM".
    DVD's hold more than CDs.
    DVD+R disks I create with the new DELL Win8.1 don't work on her XP,
    But, DVDs DID work before the DELL Win8.1.
    As a test, to make sure that nothing has changed with her XP, I pulled a DVD+R disk created by my old XP notebook and it still reads just fine on her XP. What has changed is 1) I'm using a new DELL pc. 2) I am using Win8.1's native disk creation utilities on the DELL and 3) I don't have a dedicated DVD software product on the DELL.

So, CD's will still work, but DVD's no longer work if created on the new DELL using Win8.1's native utilities.

I don't know if the problem is with the DELL or with Win8.1 or if the problem would be solved by my acquiring a software package for the DELL that would create DVDs.

Why should anyone else care about this?

If you want an extra bakup (just-in-case-for example when you are using Turbo-Tax) you might not be able to read DVD bakups on an XP-pc. In my case, my wife is storing her embroidery design files that I download for her onto disks. These are printed out in color and put in a 3-ring binder so they and the disk are together and easy to find and use without my help.

We tried some USB sticks until one caught on fire and toasted some of her designs. Never had a DVD catch on fire.

Paul

Thanks
    We tried some USB sticks until one caught on fire and toasted some of her designs. Never had a DVD catch on fire.
    That sounds very scary. I have never heard of such a thing, maybe something else is going on....
    Just to be sure have you tried to read an old disk made with the old XP machine on her computer?

ironic thought: its the DVD w/ the laser...

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-09-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wavy:
    I pulled a DVD+R disk created by my old XP notebook and it still reads just fine on her XP.
    Paul