Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update KB2975719

Hi: Windows update tried to update my PC with the recently reissued KB2975719 (the one that failed miserably in the August 12 release.) It would not install. I tried three times and got the "could not install" message. I went to the MS site and downloaded the entire package for this update which consists of five KB files. I tried to do a manual update and it still would not install. It is required that the five updates be installed in a certain order. I found that the file that had to be installed first (KB2993651) was already installed in my PC.

Here's what I did: I did a system restore to the most recent automatic restore point. I uninstalled KB2993651 and rebooted. I reinstalled KB2993651 and rebooted. I installed KB2975719 and rebooted--it installed properly! I then installed the last three updates KB2993100, KB2979582 and KB2990532 in that order. They all also installed properly.

I don't know if what I did was anything special, but it worked for me. I have received much help and good advice here so I thought it might be a good thing to share this experience. If this helps someone, fine. If not, well, I tried. And thanks to all of you who have helped me in the past.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Thanks for the post. The August updates were among the worst that Microsoft has released in a very long time. There have been numerous reported issues. Glad it worked out for you. Hope this helps someone else.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517: Thanks for the kind words.

Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update 2975719

Thanks for the suggestion, but even after following the instructions to the letter the update refuses to install saying as usual "the following updates were not installed" - very helpful!! Has anybody got any further suggestions, please? I am at my wits end having tried to install both with and without Windows Update!! Thanks for your help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What does the update actually do? Perhaps you don't need it anyway?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robgil View Post
    What does the update actually do? Perhaps you don't need it anyway?
    It apparently is not a Security Update as my PSI comes up 100% but it is supposed to have some bug fixes, improve performance, add miracast etc. I am concerned that if I cannot get it installed (and as of now I can think of nothing further to try) the next 'update' to Win 8.1 will require this to be installed (remember 8.1 update 1 of ill repute?).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bryash: I wish I had more info for you. Did you go to the Microsoft download center and download the five KB files associated with KB2975719? I have a feeling that manually installing the updates rather than allowing Windows Update to do the update may have had something to do with my good fortune. Good luck.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2975719)
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2989647)

Last night I was unable to print wireless. Then this morning, both Firefox and IE could not connect. No 404 or such, just a plain blank screen. Opera worked.

Tonight, checked Windows Update. I think Wed Sep 10 was the last time I checked, and there were no updates for me. Running Win 8.1 Update.

Tonight, after installing the two Updates, without difficulties, Firefox and IE work, and I can print wireless.

Your guess is as good as mine.