New Lounger
    Thanks

Files "open" but not!

I have Word files in compatibility mode that I'm not allowed to move or rename b/c they're open. I assume this has something to do with temporary files, so I cleared files using %TEMP%. However, five files won't delete. So, I restarted my laptop (Windows 7 with Word 7), but when I try again to move the files they are "open" so the operation cannot be performed.

These same files have been saving as read-only files, even though the read-only toggle box is not toggled when I check. I'm the only one who uses this laptop.

This is driving me crazy. I'm on deadline so what can I do so I can access my own dang files?!

Thanks for any assistance.

Thanks
    You should be able to open them in read-only mode, and then save-as to a different name. From then on, use the new name for the files.

Or, when you try to open them, click the button that says Notify me when they are available, or something like that.

Word thinks that someone has them open, and that's why the only way you can open them is in read-only mode.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you showing the hidden files in Windows Explorer? The temporary locking file is normally in the same folder as the file (not in the TEMP folder).

Can you copy the files in Windows Explorer and paste them to another directory and open them from that location?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Now I am not on deadline so I can give more information. I have indeed been saving different versions of this file each time, so now I have dozens of files i cannot move, delete, or rename. All of the files require Save As; none of them will allow any other action. The error is:

"The action can't be completed because the file is open in Microsoft Office Word. Close the file and try again."

The problem is that I have restarted the laptop numerous times, cleared out the temp files, checked the task manager and can't find any trace of anything hanging on to the file, etc. This has happened before, so I'm looking for what I can do in general or for a strategy that doesn't require creating documents multiple times. If I cut and paste into a new document, I still can't delete the original file.

I have admin priv. Can anyone help? I have dozens of files that I can't perform any actions on!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've gone into Resource Monitor and found three "handles," but that cannot be all of them because I have dozens I cannot delete. I tried to end the processes for those three handles, but when I right click, the "End Process" selection is grayed out....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a solution and am posting it here in the event it can help someone else.

I turned off the preview pane temporarily and was able to delete and rename files.

To do this, I went into the Explorer, selected Organize from the top, selected Layout, and then untoggled Preview Pane.