2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bluetooth, bluetooth, wherefore art thou?

HP pavilion dm1-4310nr fights with Holux C1000 bluetooth GPS, Dan Lynch knocked out in second round.

The computer is massively infected with Windows 8, it crawled to a stop that I could not break and I had to take it to the children at the local computer store for them to fix.

While it was limping along in August, I did some tests with the GPS expecting to use it in the field come November. The GPS did link and send NMEA data to the application for about 5 minutes which satisfied me.

After the kids played with the computer (not downgradable to win 7) and apparently loaded some new drivers (driver dates in device mgr are the service date, 8/18), the GPS no longer links (It says "connected" for 20 sec then "disconnected").

The kids recommended using the little usb bluetooth that I put on my desk machine to determine that the GPS was, indeed, sending NMEA but that will not start in the Pavilion (so says device manager).

Anybody have any ideas?

I'm an old geologist comfortable with aerial photos and a topo map, I don't NEED this.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Check to see if the USB gizmo is supported with Win 8 drivers, but if something is shutting down then Event Viewer should have a record of it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just sent a request to Holux for driver information. We'll see.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you check Event Viewer ?

I couldn't see your C1000 in http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/suppor...loadCenter.jsp - unless it's known by another name, but you could enter your model into the search and see what comes up.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-10 at 19:31.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, the GPS is M-1000C, just the GPS chip and the bluetooth radio with no data logging capacity. I used it successfully with a usb bluetooth receiver on an older laptop that was stolen.

the Event viewer tells me that "Driver management concluded the process to install driver atheros_bth.inf ....

Driver management has concluded the process to add service BTHPORT ...

When I insert the usb receiver with device manager open, an icon for "generic bluetooth radio" appears with a yellow triangle and the properties window status box says, "This device cannot start (Code 10). Operation failed."

The little usb radio that works so well with win 7 cannot start in win 8.

If the Holux folks cannot help me, I'm going to abandon trying because it's a cockamamie scheme, anyway. I am proposing to carry the HP pavilion in my pack and use it when I'm out on the volcanoes in the sun. I'm not sure this will work given the reflectivity of the screen.

I print the Google Earth images, anyway, and probably don't need this.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It doesn't look as if it is Win 8 supported as there's nothing later than a f/w update from 2011 but Holux may have a workaround - as long as it doesn't include buying a newer model

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    <sings> What a difference a day makes....</shuts up, thank god>

The messagebox asked "Would you like to install updates?" Oh, what the hell, why not - click.

This morning for the FIRST time, my Windows 8.1 computer STARTED on the desktop just like I was promised months ago.

OK, I'll try the Holux just because. Same old same old "connected - Not connected" BUT, on the first try, it said "The device timed out waiting (or something like that)"

When I checked the device manager, THE GPS was listed among the bluetooth devices and one property was "This device is working properly."

Opening VisualGPS, there were the NMEA sentences, one a second. IT WORKS!

Thanks for your help, this issue is closed. HOORAY!
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sounds like a case of Windows heal thyself but glad it's sorted.

You can use the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread to Mark as Solved.