5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recovering from a rough August Patch Tuesday

PATCH WATCH

Recovering from a rough August Patch Tuesday

By Susan Bradley

In the U.S., September is the traditional back-to-school time of year. It might be time for Microsoft to go back to school to learn how to handle updates. Numerous September patches are fixes for August updates. Fortunately, the load of security patches is light.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/recovering-from-a-rough-august-patch-tuesday/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-09-10 at 16:24.

Thanks
    Given how rough Microsoft made August for some of us, I am glad to read that Adobe has had the sense to postpone its patches, rather than impose half-baked versions on users. This shows me that unlike Microsoft, someone with some intelligence and respect for customers is running the patching show at Adobe.

BTW, to those who don't already know, the upgrade of Flash Player to Version 15.0 has already been released.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had Security Updates KB2894844 for .NET 3.5.1 and KB2894842 for .NET 4 appear on all three of my Windows 7 machines. Neither update has an MS number on the MS Download site. What's the skinny on these two?

Lounger
    Thanks

MS14-053 .NET denial-of-service threat

After reading Susan's description of this update for running IIS for ASP.NET applications I am wondering why Susan rated these .NET updates as "install" rather than "optional". Why bother to install at my leisure (and risk problems) if I will never host websites on my windows 7 computers? Am I missing something?

Thanks
    I expect that Susan is just saying it is safe to install and shouldn't cause any problems. You can always make a personal decision not to install it if you deem it has no benefit to you.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this is the right place to list this question, but I have received the following patch and cannot find anything on it. 2982378.
    Has anyone else run into this and is it OK to install? It was published 9/9/2014 which would be this patchwatch.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB2894842)

This Security Update keeps trying to install. After installing successfully it comes right back and asks to be installed again. A continuous loop. Best way to stop this?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB2972215)

This Security Update keeps trying to install. After installing successfully it comes right back and asks to be installed again. A continuous loop. Best way to stop this?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blumenfeld View Post
    I had Security Updates KB2894844 for .NET 3.5.1 and KB2894842 for .NET 4 appear on all three of my Windows 7 machines. Neither update has an MS number on the MS Download site. What's the skinny on these two?
    Say, Bob,
    I have the same two updates waiting for a resolution. Did you ever figure it out?
    Thanks.