5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A tweak and a free tool greatly improve Win8

LANGALIST PLUS

A tweak and a free tool greatly improve Win8

By Fred Langa

Many Windows Secrets readers are moving to Win8 and encountering frustrations along the way. Here are easy fixes for some vexing problems. Plus: Anti-malware for Kindles and other Android tablets; Microsoft Security Essentials finishes last in another test; free product-key finders for Windows and other software.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/a-tweak-and-a-free-tool-greatly-improve-win8/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Stop recomending freeware that cheats

Re article: Free product-key finders for Windows and more

Please stop recommending freeware that secretly loads "crapware" on your PC when loaded
     "NirSoft ProduKey (free; site)" is a prime example

You should test the download and let us know of any secret programs that are added with or without the users (obscure) permission

In the case of Nirsoft I was forced to do a system restore to get rid of the programmes it added to my browser!!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by samcory View Post
    Please stop recommending freeware that secretly loads "crapware" on your PC when loaded
     "NirSoft ProduKey (free; site)" is a prime example

You should test the download and let us know of any secret programs that are added with or without the users (obscure) permission

In the case of Nirsoft I was forced to do a system restore to get rid of the programmes it added to my browser!!!
    Could you be specific about which download link you used and what secret program was added.

I just downloaded and installed Produkey from that site and nothing was added to my browser.

Bruce

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge.

All Nirsoft software is clean and safe to use, I know of none that embed themselves anywhere other than the folder that you extract them to.

Ah, I think I see what you did, the 'Recover keys ... ' URL below the real download links looks like an ad and leads to a different site, and that does look like a crapware site.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge.

All Nirsoft software is clean and safe to use, I know of none that embed themselves anywhere other than the folder that you extract them to.

Ah, I think I see what you did, the 'Recover keys ... ' URL below the real download links looks like an ad and leads to a different site, and that does look like a crapware site.
    That is exactly what I mean OBSCURE links that you end up loading without knowing it.
    OK I clicked on it and got the crapware but these "FREE" sites all do this putting links that are not connected to what you are looking at.
    I am still of the opinion that "WINDOWS SECRETS" before they advocate a link/download that they should look and warn us about the OBSCURE LINKS.
    We read Windows Secrets to get help and assistance and trust their recommendations.
    If I am stupid enough to click on the wrong button I am sure there are others who will do the same!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My ASUS workstation came with Classic Shell (and it's free) which gives you back your start menu in several different flavors (I just chose Win7). I tried to get use the the tiles for a few weeks (and did, but several times I found it to just be too much an inconvenience so I finally installed Classic Shell (again ASUS came with it but did not install it; left it to the end user). No surprise there was an update to install afterwards too but all ran flawlessly. I highly recommend this one if you like your Start Menu back.

http://www.classicshell.net/
    Last edited by lylejk; 2014-10-08 at 13:25.