Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turn your Windows PC into a Wi-Fi hotspot

TOP STORY

Turn your Windows PC into a Wi-Fi hotspot

By Fred Langa

Using a feature built into Windows, all your Wi-Fi-based devices can access the Web through a single Internet connection — no additional hardware or software required. This capability isn't new; Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) has been around for years. But it's somewhat hidden on some Win8 systems. Here's how to find it, enable it, and use it.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/turn-your-windows-pc-into-a-wi-fi-hotspot (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-09-10 at 20:12.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this set up procedure the same for Windows 7.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnee View Post
    Is this set up procedure the same for Windows 7.
    Yes. The article says;

"On Vista and Win7 systems, the techniques are nearly identical to those used for Win8. Microsoft offers concise information on using ICS in Vista and Win7.

See, for example, the online article, “Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).”

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Came about a week too late for me! I had tried bits and pieces of this because like Fred and his cable outtage, I lost my wifi bridge AP. I didn't find any comprehensive instructions like this, so I foundered w/o success.

Then, stumbling around on the intertubes, I came across Connectify. www.connectify.me Kind of expensive, but it was on sale so I got three installations for $20. It puts a nice, simple, reliable interface on all of this, and you don't even need two adapters! It turns one's wifi adapter into two, creating a "Microsoft Wifi Virtual Miniport Adapter" right into the single one you are running. Yes, things slow down a bit because it needs to switch between transmit and receive modes, but not a significant problem.

You can even daisy chain your computers, one feeding the next at your fringe of signal! Awesome.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Vpn

Will this work with a VPN and would everything connected then be able to connect through VPN

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used the FREE Virtual Router that is simple to install and gives you the benefit of turning it on and off as needed without having to fiddle with windows settings.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please let me know if I got the hardware setup steps right. I am just a newbie...

1) Fred is connecting his smartphone to the desktop PC via an EasyTether USB connection.
    2) Fred connects his Wi-Fi router to the desktop PC using an Ethernet cable.
    3) Fred's smartphone acts as a modem/gateway to the Internet. The Internet connection goes from Fred's smartphone, through his PC and from there to his router so that Wi-Fi devices can connect to the Internet.

Did I get this right??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdawes View Post
    I have used the FREE Virtual Router that is simple to install and gives you the benefit of turning it on and off as needed without having to fiddle with windows settings.
    Router or hotspot/access point? Very different animals.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I received an email from Windows Secrets about this earlier, as a paid member, which I assume was genuine, but Windows Live Mail saw it as a phishing attempt and sent it to my junk folder.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent, thanks! With USB wireless NICs so cheap, any reason you couldn't add two wifi (or a second if built in/notebook,etc.) and use other devices wirelessly?

And/or, once upon a time, you could actually assign two addresses to one NIC, a real pain, but duable, creating a second LAN on the same NIC. Is this still possible with current desktop OSs?

Rich

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sdawes View Post
    How about a link, or search engine terms to find this for use to utilize too?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    I received an email from Windows Secrets about this earlier, as a paid member, which I assume was genuine, but Windows Live Mail saw it as a phishing attempt and sent it to my junk folder.
    Unfortunately, Windows Live Mail has LOTS of issues, mostly unsupported by MS these days, so this is just another one. Bummer MS changed the outlook.com to look like tile world of Windows 8, vs. keeping like Outlook looked for those who loved Outlook/Express/Live Mail, etc. I used to recommend it for folks used to those programs, now am sorry I did and do NOT recommend any more. Shoot, I've been in the IT world for 20+ years and it took me a while just to find the contacts/address book in outlook.com ("people", sheesh)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Can I use this to connect my Roku 3 streaming box(can be used Ethernet or wireless) in my bedroom to my desktop PC in my living room? I don't have a router,so right now I have an Ethernet cable running from an Ethernet switch on my PC across the floor to the Roku box in my bedroom.Is there a distance limitation?My Dell Inspiron running Win 7 says "Hosted network supported".

Lounger
    Thanks
    What you don't realize is you really DO have a router already. It's your cable/att/uverse/modem that has the router built in. It may already have wifi too, depends on the unit.

Check with your ISP to ask if you already have wifi. If not, a MUCH better solution is pick up an inexpensive wifi router (I like the belkin N300 from Amazon, $28, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+%26+USB+Port+ )

That's not much more than what you probably paid for that long ethernet cord... And, the router above has a USB 2.0 port to connect either a printer or external drive for backups, or just storage. And then easy wifi for any devices you like.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well,that certainly didn't answer my question...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast