New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2013 crashing inconsistently

I have 2 different Access 2013 databases that have begun crashing. My laptop has Windows 8.1. Details:

1. I have a tab control on which is a command button that opens a multirecord form. It has been working fine for years and years. Clicking on button now causes--usually but not always--Access to crash and try to save a backup. This database is either 2002,3 or 7 format, but extension says .mdb.

2. A relatively new database (I thought created in 2013 but extension shows as .mdb??!!). Has a multirecord form with cbo in head to find a record on form. Sometimes opens and cbo works, sometimes will not open and Access crashes before trying cbo.

I don't know why it crashes or why it does so inconsistently.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you applied all the latest updates for Office/Access 2013? If not, do that first. Then do a Compact and Repair on each database. As they are .mdb extension files, they are either in the 2000 or 2003 format in all likelihood - Access 2013 isn't supposed to be able to open older formats such as 95 or 97. If they were 2007/10/13 format databases they would have the .accdb extension. Finally, you might want to do a repair of your Access 2013 installation - we typically see fewer crashes with 2013 than either 2007 or 2010. If your issue persists, then you may want to import all of the objects in each database into a new clean database, either in the .mde format or the .accdb format.
    Wendell

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WendellB For This Useful Post:

QMatHome (2014-09-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I will try the last solution first as it sounds simple. However, if I wanted to "repair my Access 2013 installation" what would I actually do? I have the Office CD and could uninstall and reinstall if you think that is worth a try.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To repair your Access 2013 installation, open Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and Features. That will list all of the programs installed on your PC. Find Microsoft Office 2013 (Microsoft Access 2013 if you don't have a full Office install) and click on it. Choose the option "Change" and then it will give you the option of doing a quick repair or a full repair. Make your choice and follow the instructions from there. For more details on the process see Repair Office Programs.
    Wendell