Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Virus

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Anti-Virus

Gentlemen of the Forum, w 7 64 bit. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am presently running Malware bytes Anti-Malware and EMSISOFT-ANTIMALWARE am I just realizing that I am not running an Anti-Virus program or are one of the aforementioned a misnomer? I also would entertain comments and thoughts about running EMSISOFT-ANTIMALWARE with ESET Smart Security? Thank you ahead of time.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Malwarebytes is an on demand malware scanner. Emsisoft is a dual antivirus/antimalware program. It uses BitDefender for the AV part. You don't need both it and ESET and they may conflict if you install both.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The distinction between viruses and other types of malware has lost relevance. The security threats landscape has changed a bit, with viruses being a tiny percentage of the most common threats, these days. EAM is a top notch package, real tests prove it. Coupled with real time malwarebytes, there isn't much that can get past the combination.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Malwarebytes is an on demand malware scanner.
    Malwarebytes Free Yes...Malwarebytes Premium (paid) is an active (always on) scanner. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-11)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui so you are saying I cant get much better protection than what I presently have is that correct? I was hoping you would respond to this question so I could tell you thank you very much for the info and advice on Acronis. I finally got it figured out and its a great app (Program) I don't really know the correct terminology its just great. Once again you got me in debt to you. So what's new? Thanks again.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Sir yes it is Pro paid.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYPHIL View Post
    Rui so you are saying I cant get much better protection than what I presently have is that correct? I was hoping you would respond to this question so I could tell you thank you very much for the info and advice on Acronis. I finally got it figured out and its a great app (Program) I don't really know the correct terminology its just great. Once again you got me in debt to you. So what's new? Thanks again.
    Phil.
    Phil,

There is no such thing as perfect protection, but considering your habits and the security products you have, you are very well protected, yes! Remember one thing, though - you're the key asset regarding your computer's protection. Some less reflected act can allow anything to bypass the protection you have. Your regular working habits, though, will mean that the combined protection of EAM and Malwarebytes should be enough.

Getting past this level of protection would be possible. Without using additional products, you could always browse the web only in a non admin account, which would limit the effect of any malware that could get through. I think, however, that may be unneeded, you seem to have done well so far.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-11)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui Thanks for your reply. You forget who your talking to I don't even know what a non admin account is. Thank you again.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Phil,

Malwarebytes no longer sells Pro it has been relabeled Premium. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Phil,

Seriously, with your habits, I wouldn't worry this much about security. Just be careful with your browsing habits, if EAM prompts you to decide on something, make sure it's an informed decision and come here for help if you need to, to make that informed decision.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One thing to look out for when browsing is when you get a prompt on a website that something like your Java is out of date - had that recently so got off the site PDQ and went to java.com just to confirm they hadn't updated what I already have installed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-12)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Sir for that info. I tried to look into that and couldn't really get any info except that they were presently working on something. You guys are amazing in regards to your access to information and I am very happy to be the beneficiary of it. Thank you.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, I have tried to make a point of not using anything that requires me to use Java I don't trust it for a minute but that sure is a good tip and warning for people.
    Phil.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While I have Java installed and kept up to date, I have it disabled in browsers, but when researching Google help links for this that or the other I have recently landed on web sites which gives the prompt that it requires Java, so have had to enabled and then accept the UAC prompt - but agree it has been the target of a number of exploits and is best kept disabled or uninstalled.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo I am much more basic I use only one browser and don't use Google very much I am sure you know what you are doing. I was in no way offering any advice or direction all you guys know way more than I do.
    Phil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast