New Lounger
    Thanks

mfc45.dll Problem

New on the thread, long time WS subscriber.
    AVG continues to flag mfc45.dll almost every am on reboot. I have googled the problem but suggestions not valid. I am tired
    of having this un-needed dll show up. I have examined registry etc for persistence to no avail. the file appears in the syswow64 folder (win7)
    with a search, but never seems to show in the path given. I do have hidden/system files showing. I would appreciate any ideas for getting rid of this annoyance. Google threads sfc etc. not helpful. I can have avg log it as ok, buy would rather not, if it is a false positive. I hope I have posted in the correct way here.

Thanks
    Try the clean boot diagnostic procedure:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You don't want to let it take that file out.

I came across a Combofix Rescue Disk link so thought I'd create the disk and ran it to see what it was like - its heuristics snagged that file and I inadvertently let it remove it without first finding out what it was and on their forum there were a lot of complaints about it snagging it but no resolution forthcoming from Combo.

Removing the file took out the ability for restore points to work - fortunately I had a full system image to fall back on.

Have you checked the AVG forum to see if anyone else is complaining about it with this file ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-12 at 06:44.

Thanks
    Check out THIS article.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Microsoft Safety Scanner is probably the better option as it will replace a corrupt file with a good copy if necessary, rather than just deleting it.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/sc...b/default.aspx

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Microsoft Safety Scanner is probably the better option as it will replace a corrupt file with a good copy if necessary, rather than just deleting it.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/sc...b/default.aspx
    Aren't you thinking of System File Checker there? Microsoft Safety Scanner is just a virus and spyware scanner.

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Even though with this file removed, Restore fails because that file is either corrupt or missing error message, neither chkdsk /f, sfc /scannow run within Windows or an offboot sfc /scannow found anything untoward as it would appear not to be a core system file.

Restoring with a system image reinstated the file, otherwise I was looking at a factory reset as for some reason, a repair install fails to complete on this and another Tosh laptop.

I also fell foul with a Permissions issue when trying the Win7forums tutorial in extracting a file from an install disk.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-13 at 17:57.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Aren't you thinking of System File Checker there? Microsoft Safety Scanner is just a virus and spyware scanner.

Bruce
    For the record, the problem was caused by malware so SFC wont find it and MSS will.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It wasn't because of malware on mine and I was unable to restore to prior its removal, as Restore was reporting that it was unsuccessful because mfc45.dll was missing or corrupt - although I have read where someone when running MSS cleaned and restored the file with a good copy - but not sure how it could do that.

Its Properties on mine says that it opens with unknown application.

Norton File Insight has given this file a good rating and reports that it was released 2 years ago, so perhaps it came in with a Windows Update.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-14 at 07:09.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    For the record, the problem was caused by malware so SFC wont find it and MSS will.
    I think the problem is caused by ANTI-malware: could i've gotten a false positive from avg 2013

I don't think Microsoft Security Scanner replaces a corrupted file with a good copy.

I believe the "corruption" of mfc45.dll is caused by iolo System Mechanic, who manage to record registration in it: mfc45.dll in C++ Redistributable package (3rd post on that page)

... and then recommend deleting it when it causes a problem: After updating, System Mechanic's setup/uninstall wizard will no longer run on a Windows 7, 64-bit system.

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't have any tune up programs installed.

It was Combo Rescue Disk that snagged it with its heuristics.

I wasn't even aware of the file until then and there appears to be very little info on it and it isn't a Win 7 core file - otherwise a sfc or chkdsk would have said it had repaired something after it had been removed.

If it's something that has come in with the C++ Redistributables, then it could have been anything that uses those applications.

My puzzlement is why when that file is removed, so is the ability for a successful restore - there doesn't appear to be any adverse effects that I know of other than that failure.

The way some Windows Updates have had the behaviour of malware, then perhaps it's no wonder this file is triggering alerts with some scanners if it's MS related.

I've scanned this machine with Norton 360, Norton Power Eraser with and without the Rootkit mode, MBAM Free, SAS and MSRT and neither have snagged it as being dangerous and Norton File Insight gives it a good rating and trustworthy.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-14 at 16:39.