New Lounger
    Thanks

Get the filename or source of an inserted picture

How can I find the filename or source of a picture inserted into a word 2000 document?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Unless the image was inserted as a link, you possibly can't. For linked images, pressing Alt-F9 will generally reveal the details. Alternatively, you can find them vie Edit|Links. With an embedded image, you might be able to find the filename & path by saving the document in RTF format, changing the extension to .txt, then trawling through the RTF code looking for the extension (e.g. .jpg).
    Last edited by macropod; 2014-09-11 at 20:24.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think you can do this easily unless the graphic is linked in to the document.

Choosing the hard way, you could try opening Word and then choosing File > Open. Change the file type to "Recover text from any file" and then open the file. This shows massive amounts of rubbish content but the original name of the images may be stored in there somewhere. I tried it and got to see the filename without the file extension. Unfortunately, I only recognised it because I knew what I was looking for although it appears near other text that indicates other metadata about the image such as the name of the software that saved the graphic.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Alexis (2014-09-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Unless the image was inserted as a link, you possibly can't. For linked images, pressing Alt-F9 will generally reveal the details. Alternatively, you can find them vie Edit|Links. With an embedded image, you might be able to find the filename & path by saving the document in RTF format, changing the extension to .txt, then trawling through the RTF code looking for the extension (e.g. .jpg).
    Thank you, Macropod, I was afraid of that! At least now I know to link them in future!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Paul.