Lounger
    Thanks

Won't Print Excel 2013 Documents

This is Windows 8.1 x64 and Office 2013 (x32 version) and network HP Laserjet and Ricoh Laser printers.

The whole thing is intermittent. Sometimes, if I can't print a spreadsheet to one printer, I can print it to a different printer. On my 4th try, I found a printer that worked.
    The error I get is a Microsoft Excel error: Your file could not be printed due to an error on \\xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.local\Hallway Laser PCL 5 on . There are several possible reasons...the Hallway Laser is my main printer and is an HP Laserjet P3015.

I was troubleshooting it some more and determined several things:
    1. If I print a Word document, it prints just fine.
    2. If I print the Excel document to a PDF document, I can print that PDF document just fine.
    3. Excel 2013 seems to be the only application that has difficulty...everything else I've tried prints just fine. Sometimes when I try to print to another network printer (usually an HP Laserjet P2055), it works fine.

So far, I seem to be the only person with this problem, but I am concerned, since I don't know what is causing the problem and whether other people will have problems. I didn't used to ever have problems printing.

The network printers are actually loaded on a server, so that when the printer is added and needs a driver, that driver is downloaded from the server. In the past, if this happened, rebooting the computer seemed to help (but not today) and removing and re-adding the printer also sometimes helped (nut not today)

I think if I delete the printer and add it completely from scratch on the PC, that will likely work, but if someone has a better idea, I'd like to hear.

Thanks
    A possible????? You have windows 64 bit and excel 32 bit. I have heard others like me say that you should NOT install excel 32 bit in the 64 bit. If so, try uninstall and re-install in 32 bit.
    This is the setup I have and printing on hp 2840 color laserjet.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Office 2010 64-bit on Win7 64-bit and can print to either an HP Officejet 8600 or an HP Laserjet M1212 attached to my Router, also can print from any computer, either Wi-Fi or Ethernet connections, with the drivers installed for a Network Printer. I also have Office 2013 64-bit on my Win8.1 computer and can print Excel files to the same 2 printers.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-09-12 at 14:59.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response. I think I will stick with the Microsoft recommendation to use 32 bit Office on 64 bit PCs at this point. I'm curious, but not enough to switch.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ch...102840825.aspx

The only issue I had was needing to Uninstall Microsoft FrontPage 2003 as it was 32-bit and would not work with 64-bit Office. It was not a problem as my Domain Host is no longer going to support FrontPage extension for my Web pages, just prodded me to change to Microsoft Expression Web [no cost involved].

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did just try installing the printer driver on my PC instead of using the server. Not a wonderful solution if I had to do it a lot, but it did work. I'm wondering about the drivers I have installed on the server for these printers. But if that were the problem, it would effect a lot more than Excel. I'll just keep an eye on it and close this out as (sort of) solved.

Thanks again for the responses. It does get me thinking in other directions.