3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2013 setup issues

I have been struggling to set up Office 2013 for my daughter on a new pc (which failed in several ways, but the latest seems to be working well under Windows 7).

When I first tried on the first pc received (which failed after 2 days), I chose the option to sync her pc (new), Mac (about 6 years old), iPad, & iPhone. That created an absolute mess, since her complicated mail folder structure included special characters that are okay in a .pst file but not in a synced structure. However some version appeared on all of these other devices, at times duplicated (so that 5,000+ messages became 10,000+). Skip forward two months with a replacement pc and we were no longer offered the option as to whether to sync or to run Outlook 2013 standalone on the new pc. It automatically tried to sync everything.

So the challenge is:
    - if we want to use the web-enabled sync, is there a way to do it without having to laboriously remove duplicated files, etc? [Note: we tested, and removing a message or folder in one device did NOT remove it in the others.]
    - if we want to use the web-enabled sync, is there a way to limit the "age" or number of entries on all the devices except the new pc?
    - if we want to give up on sync and just use the main pc, is there a way to do this?

Many thanks.

globalist

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Can you make clear what you mean by web-enabled sync or even sync? Outlook does not include a syncing feature, at least I have never heard about it or used it and I use Outlook probably since Outlook 2000. If you are using a 3rd party sync app, it seems this should go into another forum and the help request should be about the specific sync app you are using.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook syncing

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Can you make clear what you mean by web-enabled sync or even sync? Outlook does not include a syncing feature, at least I have never heard about it or used it and I use Outlook probably since Outlook 2000. If you are using a 3rd party sync app, it seems this should go into another forum and the help request should be about the specific sync app you are using.
    The first time I installed Outlook 2013 on the subject Win 7 pc I was asked (don't recall the exact word) whether I wanted to install it as a (old-fashioned) standalone installation (tying into my web service provider) or if I wanted to use (Skydrive or Onedrive or something like that to sync e-mail among all of the devices I mentioned in the first message. I stupidly chose the sync option, and almost immediately all of the mail on the various devices appeared on all of the others, often duplicated. Then the pc failed, and after an arduous month-plus of back and forth, we received a replacement pc. When I reinstalled Office 2013, the Outlook was configured for this (Microsoft - not third party) sharing. In the meantime, the Mac, etc., ended up with almost universal duplicated messages. When I exercised send-receive on the recent installation, it ended up duplicating and even triplicating many of the messages.

I ran the Outlook 2013 utility to remove duplicates, and it removed about 2,000 messages - but a huge number were left. Re-running the utility did not remove the many residual duplicates (and triplicates). Since doing this, I read in another blog that the user found that the MS utility missed many of his duplicates but removed early files in a thread, causing him to miss some messages, etc., especially if there were multiple individual responses from different users. So apparently the MS Clean-up utility is not only useless but can be harmful.

globalist

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, without you providing a clear indication of what you used to sync, or the clear message you got, I am unable to help. As I said, Outlook provides no syncing mechanisms, none at all. Outlook can connect to accounts from different providers and thus retrieve email messages, contacts and calendars from such providers. I am not sure if this is what you mean by syncing.

As I said, as things stand now, I don't even understand what the problem is and it definitely does not seem an Outlook issue, as Outlook is a standalone app and does not sync with other computers or devices.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook syncing

Sorry - I believe Outlook 2013 DOES provide syncing - it asked me about it the first time I set it up - by choosing web-based storage of its data file.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    Sorry - I believe Outlook 2013 DOES provide syncing - it asked me about it the first time I set it up - by choosing web-based storage of its data file.
    I don't think that is possible and Microsoft support confirms it:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...d-e40b1cecbfc2

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...5-97b86b805f0f

I have setup Outlook 2013 at least 5 times, in different computers (plus another time while still in beta). Never did it offer such option and, per the reasons highlighted in the support articles, I can't imagine they would ever be offered.

Adding to this, Outlook only exists for Windows and the mac, do I don't see how OneDrive could be used to sync Outlook with the iPad or the iPhone, by sharing the .pst file. That makes no sense at all. Syncing contents is another thing, though.

I wouldn't share a .pst over a local network, much less over the internet. If your setup contemplates such a scenario (which I could only imagine it would have to be done by hand) I would advise you to remove the current email profile and start fresh, with a local, not shared in any way, pst file.

My current setup includes backing up my pst files to OneDrive. To do this, I have a batch file that copies the files to a different folder, and then the backup software picks them up from there. These files, being copies, are not used by Outlook directly, which means they can be copied to OneDrive without any locking issues.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting.

I KNOW that the initial installation offered the multi-platform sync option via a cloud file of some kind.

I KNOW that the Outlook files (including a complicated mail file arrangement) appeared almost instantly on my daughter's iMac, iPhone and iPad.

I KNOW that my local (official) Microsoft store (not the on-line app store) told me that they could get this straightened out after the initial run was fouled up by my daughter's use of delimiters not allowed in file names. [They were unsuccessful, instead totally messing up two pcs and possibly the iMac.]

We must have different MS suppliers.

But thanks for trying.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, see what an Outlook MVP says about using OneDrive with Outlook: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/697. Google, bing or use whatever search engine you want to find out about this issue and let me know if you find different answers.

If any employee of a Microsoft store stated otherwise, that is,if their solution meant leaving your "main" .pst file stored in OneDrive, then I will state here, clearly and definitively, that they had no idea what they were doing, which is a statement that seems to be supported by the results you experienced yourself.
    Anyway, by all means, go with their opinion, if you think they are right, in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Here, what we can do is share what we know based on our own experiences and knowledge gathered in a multitude of ways, but mostly using the software and helping people with such software, Whoever reads is free to follow the advice given or simply disregard it. We take no offense from having the advice given disregarded.

Now if you want to have Outlook working as it should, save your existing pst file in a safe, known place, then visit the control panel, pick the mail option and delete the current profile. Start Outlook, you will be asked to set it up again, this time choose to have the pst file located where it should be: one of the local drives. Setup your accounts and make sure everything is working. Once you are sure of this, open the "old" outlook file and copy everything you want from the old file to the new file, through drag and drop. Once you finish, Outlook will behave normally and you will have anything you need from the "old" pst file in the new one.

If you want to keep stuff synced between different devices, use IMAP to connect to your accounts. A different possibility would be to use specific Outlook syncing software, for which there will be a few links in the msoutlook.info website I linked above. This will not work for the iPad and iPhone, though. I don't use Apple products, so I cannot help with syncing there, but if you search the issue, I am sure you will find usable solutions. Using IMAP should work for those cases, too.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks!

Clearly I have been "had" by something on-line and by the Microsoft store. I was amazed that whenever we made a change in her Outlook on the new pc, the files almost immediately showed up on her iMac and her iPhone - even though she did not want the old messages to show up there. Everything pointed to the existence of on-line syncing, even though I know that with my own systems in the past it was impossible. This was also the explanation I read on-line for why she could not use on Outlook 2013 the delimiters that she did use in Outlook XP (/,+,etc). I will be puzzled by these observations for years.

Her Outlook is now working, with all syncing deleted.

And thanks again for your perseverance.