New Lounger
    Thanks

Battery operated portable WiFi router?

I would like to have a battery operated, portable router that could connect to the Internet via a public WiFi signal and then allow me to safely and wirelessly connect a laptop, tablet and smartphone to the Internet via the router. I have two questions:

1) Does what I want even make sense?

2) If so, can anyone give names of one or more such products?

Thanks,

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Why not create a Virtual Router -

http://www.mypublicwifi.com/publicwifi/en/index.html or http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/ but a Google for Virtual Router will produce other links and then you can carry your router within your laptop.

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Connecting to public WiFi is not really safe, you don't know who is listening to the Access Point. Using a VPN is the only safe method and having your firewall turned on.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chambless View Post
    I would like to have a battery operated, portable router that could connect to the Internet via a public WiFi signal and then allow me to safely and wirelessly connect a laptop, tablet and smartphone to the Internet via the router. I have two questions:

1) Does what I want even make sense?

2) If so, can anyone give names of one or more such products?

Thanks,

Don
    Don, the only reason for doing this I can think of "off the top of my head" is if you wanted to share files/printers between your devices.

This would require setting Windows to have "file and printer sharing" turned on. Having "file and printer sharing" turned on whilst connected to a public network is a definite no-no (open invitation to hackers).

I would be very wary of creating a "Virtual Router" (as in post #2) or using "Internet Connection Sharing" (post #3) for the same reason (sharing should be turned off whilst connected to public networks because it is too easy for hackers to access your device(s) if sharing is turned on).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.