3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows startup runs on and on

Win 8.1 x64 Pro, system drive = Plextor SSD. Paper fell down behind my desk yesterday and while getting it my hand touched a power cord, the result being when I came back up the screen was frozen. I shut down by the computer button, waited, restarted and the Windows blue four rectangle insignia came up and the dotted circle continued to rotate, but seemingly couldn't go further. No shut down error message, as I would have expected. Repeated the process twice just to be sure, then a third time the message came up, "Scanning and repairing drive (K)." With that, it got to 8% after awhile, before I left it for a couple of hours. Later, I came back to find the desktop had appeared, and after a reboot it was usable. I ran Yamicsoft Windows 8 Mgr, both the general repair and scannow one (which found errors), with a couple of reboots, and created a restore point. Everything seemed fine when I shut down (the normal way) for the night.

This morning, however, it was back to startup running on and on, and still is over five hours since my last attempt at reboot. Scanning and Repairing currently shows 8%. Along the way in reboots, I came across a third variant of the startup screen, where the Windows insignia appears and soon after a message comes up, "Preparing Automatic Repair," followed 30-60 seconds later by the screen going black.

How should I handle things at this point? At what point is patience not enough? I do have a Win 8 original disk if needed, and there are recent system disk images (EaseUs Backup) and a file backup on two other internal HDDs (or partitions of a single HDD - I'm forgetting which. If I can get back to the desktop, I also have Plextor utilities, as well as Crystal DiskInfo, to test the SSD. Thanks,
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-09-12 at 19:35.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    I would probably try a Windows repair if you have a Windows 8 repair disc. If not, I would probably go with an image restore.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Use the original disk as a bootable disk and run the scans manually:
    chkdsk /r (on the primary) & fix mbr, from the command prompt.
    If you have external or USB drives attached, unplug them.

If you can get the system back up past the logon, use crystal disk to check SMART, but also check the event viewer.
    chkdsk /r should be done on the drive in question (K).
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    - chkdsk and fix mbr didn't find anything wrong
    - With the three HDDs unplugged, Windows booted ok (I'm there now).

I guess that means I need to plug in the HDDs one by one and see what happens.

Update: one HDD doesn't work.

Question: why does one bad nonsystem HDD prevent booting?
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-09-13 at 01:19.

Thanks
    Are you absolutely certain there were no system files located on the drive in question?
    It's probably because some of your bootfiles WERE located on it before you ran fixMBR,
    or something else that Windows had a hook on.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been used for media file backup only, scheduled backup of a nonsystem drive, so if there were I don't know how. In fact, the computer boots w/o the drive it was backing up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    It's been used for media file backup only, scheduled backup of a nonsystem drive, so if there were I don't know how. In fact, the computer boots w/o the drive it was backing up.
    If the computer starts without the drive, then the problem must be occurring when Windows tries and fails to detect the drive. This suggests that the drive is corrupted or its toast. What happens if you plug in the drive after starting Windows?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not recognized. I'll have a warranty replacement going as soon as Seagate's system decides to recognize my credit cards.