Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Kernel-Power crash problem

Hi Guys,
    My Laptop computer keeps crashing. I have tracked the problem to Kernel-Power but don't know how to fix it.

I use Windows 7 Home on an Acer Aspire 5740G.

I'veScreenshot - 11_09_2014 , 4_30_37 PM.jpgScreenshot - 11_09_2014 , 4_32_00 PM.jpg attached a couple of screenshots of the Event viewer, there are two because all wouldn't fit on one.

Thank you for your help.
    Cheers,
    Bob Slatyer.

Thanks
    POWER
    Does this occure while plugged in, if not, is there sufficient power in the battery: >50%?
    DRIVERS
    Any driver updates recently, especially GPU?
    MEMORY
    Test your memory overnight with Windows, or Memtest86.

Also check the "Administrative" section of the event viewer.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Does the laptop overheat?
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    Hi, Bob.

The bugcheck that triggered the shutdown was a 0x3B, usually a problem with a Windows Service, a driver or graphics driver.

Do you have any minidumps (C:\Windows\Minidump\*.dmp)? If you do, copy the last 3-4 to your Desktop, zip and attach them to a reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Hi, Bob.

The bugcheck that triggered the shutdown was a 0x3B, usually a problem with a Windows Service, a driver or graphics driver.

Do you have any minidumps (C:\Windows\Minidump\*.dmp)? If you do, copy the last 3-4 to your Desktop, zip and attach them to a reply.
    Hi Super Satrow,

Thanks for your time. I'm on the underside of the world from you so sorry for the delay.

I checked in Minidump and the folder is empty. But I have noticed over the crash period that when I restart and clean with CCleaner that there have been some pretty big minidumps deleted, up around 300 or 400 MB. So should I uncheck minidumps in CCleaner?

Thanks again.
    Cheers
    Bob.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi KritzX

Thanks for your time.

My laptop always runs a bit hot high of 71-75C but I don't think it's over heating. Then again I'm in Jakarta, which is right on the equator and I'm usually working in about 33C.

Cheers,
    Bob.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Super CLiNT,

Thanks for your time. I'm on the underside of the world from you so sorry for the delay.

POWER
    I removed the battery after the first crash. It's been on power only since then probably about a month.

DRIVERS
    No recent updates. I'm downloading the latest driver now but it comes with this warning.
    ***Important!***

Please note, that the AMD Catalyst Mobility driver package can only be installed on specific AMD Enduro platforms, that are second generation AMD A-series APU, or third generation Intel Core family based.

Please note that all other platforms that do not include support for AMD Enduro Technology are supported through AMD Catalyst Mobility.

I've checked memory each time I have used sfc /scannow and Tweaking.com

I'm hoping this is not as complicated as it seems to be.

Cheers
    Bob

Thanks
    If the dumps are that big, CCleaner is deleting kernel dumps too, turn off CCleaner's dump cleaning.

Let's see what info we can glean without waiting for the next crash, carefully read and follow the instructions here then attach the required zipped folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    If the dumps are that big, CCleaner is deleting kernel dumps too, turn off CCleaner's dump cleaning.

Let's see what info we can glean without waiting for the next crash, carefully read and follow the instructions here then attach the required zipped folder.
    Thanks for your prompt reply.

When my Laptop crashes it doesn't end with BSOD, it's just a black screen. When I restart I get the the which restart mode message window 7 normally or Safe Mode. I choose Windows 7 normally without a problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Usually runs at about 75C but last night when I was doing tests it got up to 85C. Core Temp says 90C is the limit.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KritzX View Post
    Does the laptop overheat?
    I've just discovered that it does get a bit hot but today it got up to 89 when I was doing a memory diagnostic.

Do you think that could be the cause?

Thanks
    Possibly, at 89C you're right up agaist the processor's thermal wall.

See if you can increase the fan speed with a software program such as SpeedFan, or a higher fan setting in the BIOS.

At any rate, you'll need to keep an eye on it and see if it corresponds to the shutdowns/black screens.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Also, get a can of compressed air and try blowing out all the vents on your laptop in an attempt to clean any dust accumulation on the processor heatsink/fan assembly. This is not an ideal way to clean it but most laptops have to be completely disassembled to get to the processor.

Jerry

Thanks
    A Kernel Power Event 41 with a BugCheckCode of 59 decodes* to a Bugcheck (aka BSOD, even though no blue screen or memory/minidump was created) 0x3B, in this instance, the BSOD code would read 0x3B (0xc0000005, 0xffff88005175ce8, 0xffff88002be3700, 0x0).

* http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504#method1

0x3B is usually caused by a Windows Service, a driver or graphics driver, maybe the graphics driver being the most common (perhaps more so in notebooks with dual graphics), it might also be down to a security driver.

We really need that data from #8 to try to pinpoint the most likely issues.

Thanks
    Ok, I see you posted the data over at Sysnative, Bob. I've replied there but forgot to ask if you have a C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP file, the log claims to have saved it there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast