New Lounger
    Thanks

YAC or Yet Another Cleaner

I did a search in here but got nothing, Anyone have any info on this program >>??
    A friend installed it , no idea how but I ripped it outbecasue I dont trust that kind of proggy but I wondered if any of you had input??
    Thanks
    Zoo

Thanks
    Windows Cleanmgr.exe has been sufficient for me. I've tested a few apps, but nothing really improves on Cleanmgr.exe. I have a current copy of CCleaner, and I run it on occasion for comparison. There are always ~450MB of Temporary Internet Files left, but I don't really want those deleted, anyway. They are for the sites I visit frequently, and deleting them won't really do much, because they'll just build right back up after a day or two of browsing the web.

Here is a link for an extended disk cleanup using Cleanmgr.exe. I run it in Task Scheduler every night when I'm sleeping. As for registry cleaning, to me that's just snake oil. I never 'clean' the registry.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes generally speaking I dont even run CCleaner often, I clean house pretty well but I do support a number of family and friends uhm habits . Dont we all? But this program is off the radar as far as I'm concerned, thats why i asked.
    Thanks
    z

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Opinion seems divided:

Yet Another Cleaner (Wikipedia)

YAC is (yet another) Windows maintenance tool

But I think it's scareware: How to remove the YAC virus

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, Thanks for the links, I didn't see the ghacks one when I searched but yes, divided indeed. Scareware is an apt name for it. Ok its gone and I still wont put it back in but I wish my friend could remember what page she was on when this got installed.
    Thanks All.
    Zoo

Thanks
    Cleanmgr.exe, in various batch configurations, are also my main general
    use cleaner, as it tends to be less aggressive than other tools, like CCleaner or Privacy Mantra for daily usages.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-09-16 at 22:08.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I think it'd be wise if you advise your friend to run a malware scan with MalwareBytes AntiMalware, just to make sure that no more offending pieces of the program remain.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Trust me I have cleaned out her comp very well, its clean infection wise and sfc shows no alterations. ESET nod now installed so that won't happen again. I don't think its bad, benign scareware at best but no chances taken.
    THanks all.
    zo0

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Essjay View Post
    Yes generally speaking I dont even run CCleaner often...
    About one-third of computers I am asked to work on will have CCleaner installed, but I am not very impressed by it. It does not seem very effective deleting temp files, and I am not convinced that its registry cleaning capability is safe.

About 2008 I discovered Cleanup! (http://www.stevengould.org/software/.../download.html), and have been using it ever since with no problems. I always install and run it on customers' computers, because it usually deletes between 20,000 and 80,000 temp files, which alone can have a very positive effect on performance (especially Internet).

One customer had a laptop less than two year old with a 500GB HDD that was almost full (less than 50MB freespace). Installed Cleanup! and ran it; nothing seemed to happen for about 15 minutes and I was tempted to terminate it but having run it on hundreds of computers previously without any problems I decided to let it continue. I advised the customer (about 2:00PM) to leave Cleanup! running and that I would phone her that evening. When I phoned her about 6:00PM she said that Cleanup! had finished a few minutes earlier and had deleted more than 270,000 files, and that her HDD's freespace had increased to 247GB. This laptop's Win7 had some other issues, which I dealt with next day, and the customer has had no serious problems with it since (about 9 months).
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-09-25 at 22:23. Reason: punctuation
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I tried YAC/Yet Another Cleaner for a few days, removed it totally because I could not configure, could not deactivate, certain functions from running in the background. I was able to "num-num" it down some, however, finally got rid of it.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/