Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Easy method to transfer photos from camera to PC needed

With my previous PC running XP and Office 2003 it was simple: connect the camera to the PC, switch on and an app called Windows Photo Manager – or something like that - opened. A thumbnail of each photo appeared, which enabled those taken vertically to be rotated, so they appeared with the correct orientation when viewed subsequently, instead of having to be rotated with each viewing. One selected the photos to be transferred, or clicked all, chose the folder to be sent to and clicked OK. There was also an option to delete the photos from the camera after transfer, thus obviating a tedious process of deleting them one by one from the camera. All dead simple.

There’s nothing like that with win8. After navigating to the camera in This PC there are no thumbnails, just a list with the Irfanview logo, serial number, date and size of each file. I find it necessary to copy and paste 4 or 5 at a time to the PC, in order to ensure none are missed, then the slow process of deleting them individually from the camera.

There was on option to use something from the Windows store, but as I don’t want a MS account, or any of their third rate apps, and as it is so difficult to get out of the Metro interface, I soon deleted camera and most of the other items listed, to avoid being bothered again.

Hopefully someone can recommend a third party app to perform a similar function to what we had before.

Thanks
    Hi.

Take a look at THIS article, and if you decide that you like this method of importing pics, install Windows Photo Gallery (if the installer asks to choose, just deselect the rest of the programs if you don't want them). This is the same method I follow on my Win8 and Win7 PCs.
    I couldn't find an easier solution than this, in my case.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    George, On my Windows 8.1, Windows Explorer allows me to view files as Large Icons or Extra Large Icons. They are actually thumbnails for JPG files.

Just click on the view menu below the title bar and mouseover the options to see the effect. I assume this will be the same for Windows 8.

As for a third party application, I use FreeCommander XE with a dual pane display for my camera on one side and the folder on my computer on the other. I can then drag & drop photos from the camera to the computer. You can select multiple files to copy at one time. Also, if you Right click to drag your selection, you can choose to "Move Files" without having to go back to delete them from the camera.

FreeCommander XE is a great file manager, but it has MANY OPTIONS to configure it to your needs. If you decide to try it, plan on spending time to look at all the options and try them out.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Google's Picasa, not only does it do everything you listed, it will also make and track it's own database so that if you have duplicates from one camera attaching session to the next, you are forewarned that they are already on the computer.

Thanks
    What type of camera is it? Does it have SD card of some type.

My preferred method it to pull the SD card and insert it into the SD card slot of my PC and then let windows discover the SD card and then I decide what to do when the pop up shows up. I also use MS photo gallery....work pretty damn good.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Picasa to copy everything to my PC and then label the directories and some photos. The labels are saved separately from the photos so your data is not altered.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    With my previous PC running XP and Office 2003 it was simple: connect the camera to the PC, switch on and an app called Windows Photo Manager – or something like that - opened. A thumbnail of each photo appeared, which enabled those taken vertically to be rotated, so they appeared with the correct orientation when viewed subsequently, instead of having to be rotated with each viewing. One selected the photos to be transferred, or clicked all, chose the folder to be sent to and clicked OK. There was also an option to delete the photos from the camera after transfer, thus obviating a tedious process of deleting them one by one from the camera. All dead simple.

There’s nothing like that with win8. After navigating to the camera in This PC there are no thumbnails, just a list with the Irfanview logo, serial number, date and size of each file. I find it necessary to copy and paste 4 or 5 at a time to the PC, in order to ensure none are missed, then the slow process of deleting them individually from the camera.

There was on option to use something from the Windows store, but as I don’t want a MS account, or any of their third rate apps, and as it is so difficult to get out of the Metro interface, I soon deleted camera and most of the other items listed, to avoid being bothered again.

Hopefully someone can recommend a third party app to perform a similar function to what we had before.
    What you want is still there. Plug in the camera. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\AutoPlay. Scroll down to Devices. Click on the the drop down menu next to the camera icon and choose the option you want from the list.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    What type of camera is it? Does it have SD card of some type.

My preferred method it to pull the SD card and insert it into the SD card slot of my PC and then let windows discover the SD card and then I decide what to do when the pop up shows up. I also use MS photo gallery....work pretty damn good.
    Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ3. It doesn't have a SD card, nor does the PC as far as I can see.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

KritzX. I installed Windows Photo Gallery last night, discovered it requires a MS account and promptly removed it.

JC Zorkoff
    . FreeCommander XE tried next, without much success. The basic interface even less informative, just the Irfanview icon and serial number, not even a date as guidance. I followed your advice about selecting large icons which showed the thumbnails, but they disappeared within about 10 – 20 seconds – not very useful. Decided to transfer the first day’s photos from my wife’s holiday to a new folder, which had already been done manually, hoping that would be an easy way to remove them from the camera and to test the batch method. Quickly noticed that I had messed up, it was transferring the photos from the PC back to the camera. I cancelled that, then found that the drive on the camera not working, had to scan it, then OK. I next transferred a batch of four to ensure all was OK, and, as it was quite late by then went to bed. I must have another look at what is a fairly confusing screen, hopefully will be able to find some instructions today, as there doesn’t appear to be any viable alternative.

F.U.N. and Paul T
    Thanks, but I avoid anything from Google – apart from the search engine – for the same privacy reasons as a MS account.

Calimanco. Another disappointment! Autoplay/Devices was empty, then I noticed Camera Storage, Memory Card above DVD. Tried both Open folder to view files (File Explorer) and Import photos and videos, but neither does anything and the other options appear irrelevant.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Picasa does not require a Google account.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Photo Gallery doesn't require a MS account. I can use it with a local account.

Picasa doesn't require an account either - it just means that you won't have an online web album - I do have a Google account but I don't use the web album much.
    Doesn't you Camera come with its own photo manager?

And I don't understand by your comment in your original post - "and as it is so difficult to get out of the Metro interface" - it's very easy.....

Thanks
    looking up your camera model...I see that there is a firmware update...see here. Have you installed the firmware update? It may help with your picture transfer issue.

Also, that camera does have a SD card slot according to the specs here, page 5. Are you sure that the PC/laptop doesn't have a SD card slot...if it really doesn't, you can buy a usb card reader for less than $20. I keep one around...comes in handy.

Here's the firmware instructions....http://shop.panasonic.com/docs/firmw...stallation.pdf
    Last edited by bassfisher6522; 2014-09-15 at 09:09.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bassfisher6522 For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2014-09-15)

Thanks
    Now we need to know what PC/laptop you are using...make and model?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ3. It doesn't have a SD card, nor does the PC as far as I can see.
    According to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/2, it does have an SD Card slot:
    camera.JPG

You can get a cheap USB SD Card reader you can use on your PC. One example can be found here: http://www.microcenter.com/product/2..._Reader-Writer

Jerry

Thanks
    Another disappointment! Autoplay/Devices was empty, then I noticed Camera Storage, Memory Card above DVD. Tried both Open folder to view files (File Explorer) and Import photos and videos, but neither does anything and the other options appear irrelevant

Did you remember to turn the camera on? It cant be detected if its off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast