Thanks

Devices and Printers hanging

I click Devices and Printers. It opens up the CP window and the green bar starts traveling across the top. And it just never stops, nor does it display the devices and printers that it finds. I've tried it twice and it's been doing it for an hour now. One of my printers and the scanner do work.
    I looked at the device manager and the only issue is a USB hub that says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I don't care if it can't start or not, the whole Devices and Printers window should not just hang. If it has a problem with one device, even a hub, it should open the window anyway and label the problem device. Can someone enlighten me as to what is happening while the green bar creeps across the top of the window? Somehow I need to get the Devices and Printers window open. Or is there another way to open a specific printer?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Backspacer; 2014-09-14 at 17:40.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Going into services and changing Bluetooth to Auto and Started has resolved this problem for some but not for others.

On checking mine, it is set to Manual and not showing as Started and yet, my Devices and Printers opens without any lag.

In Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices do you have any yellow alerts ?

To change the status to auto, right click on the service > select Properties and use the dropdown but reading its description, if it isn't started then it can prevent new devices being discovered or associated.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-14 at 18:25.

Thanks
    Bluetooth is Auto and Started.

The only device with an alert is that USB hub. It is a motherboard hub, not an external one. But I still don't think that should cause the whole Devices and Printers page to fail to load.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Let's see if Windows Troubleshooter finds anything.

Navigate - Control Panel - System and Security/Find and fix problems - View All (top left pane) - Hardware and Devices and see what that reports.

For the USB Hub, you may have to go to your computer support (if OEM build) or motherboard support if home build and download the Chipset/Video drivers as it could be an USB Controller that is part of the Video drivers.

The reason to Show hidden devices in Device Manager is so you can check Non Plug and Play drivers, as they contain Services/Dependencies for other services to start or remain started and would have had a yellow alert next to whichever when expanded if any of the services were in a stopped state.

Thanks
    I can find various troubleshooters, but the path Control Panel\System and Security\Find and fix problems does not exist on my system. None of the troubleshooters that I have found is useful.

It is a home built computer. I need to go through the ASUS website and see what drivers require an update. I started it a few weeks ago, but got sidetracked before I was finished.

The last time I opened Devices and Printers was just a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine then. I wonder if a recent Windows Update screwed something up. I'll look at my history and see if anything stands out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could be that US Hub that is stopping Windows from discovering or associating devices just as the Bluetooth not being started can, so downloading the graphics drivers for your motherboard would be a decent first step.

An alternative method of running Windows Troubleshooter is All Control Panel Items - click on Troubleshooting - View All (top left pane) and then Hardware and Devices, but if you've already run the troubleshooters then you may have already run that one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Backspacer (2014-09-15)