New Lounger
    Thanks

Mobile vs desktop screens

I am creating a database application that I can see being accessed from both desktops and smaller computers or tablets. For example Surface Pro3 or small 13 inch ultra lite laptops or smaller. I am wondering how others are dealing with the difference in screen sizes? Are you using an approach such as seen with websites approaches with mobile devices? Are you creating a mobile version and desktop versions of your forms?

Thank you for your time and thoughts. Fay

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So far we haven't made any adjustments, as most of the tablets or ultra-books have a resolution that will work with a design where we expect a resolution of something like 1024 by 768 pixels minimum. The Dell Venue 8, for example has a resolution of 1280 by 800, while the Surface Pro had a resolution of 1920 by 1080, and the Pro3 has a resolution of 2160 by 1440. Those resolutions are pretty typical of a newer widescreen monitor on a desktop. The difference is that the physical dimensions are smaller, and unless you use a zoom of some sort, text and some graphics gets pretty hard to read. But with hybrid databases where the back-end is in the cloud, we do expect to see more use of highly portable devices with databases, even including cell phones.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Movile vs desktop screen

Thanks Wendell. I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    So far we haven't made any adjustments, as most of the tablets or ultra-books have a resolution that will work with a design where we expect a resolution of something like 1024 by 768 pixels minimum. The Dell Venue 8, for example has a resolution of 1280 by 800, while the Surface Pro had a resolution of 1920 by 1080, and the Pro3 has a resolution of 2160 by 1440. Those resolutions are pretty typical of a newer widescreen monitor on a desktop. The difference is that the physical dimensions are smaller, and unless you use a zoom of some sort, text and some graphics gets pretty hard to read. But with hybrid databases where the back-end is in the cloud, we do expect to see more use of highly portable devices with databases, even including cell phones.