Star Lounger
    Thanks

Google Earth crashing on startup

On my Windows 7/64-bit OS, Google Earth has started crashing on startup. The logo screen displays, and before it is removed the crash message appears, and the application terminates. No error message or status is displayed, and the System Event Log shows a variety of errors, but no consistent exception code or faulting module name. Sometimes the faulting module is shown as one of the googleearrth* DLLs, and at other times it is listed as a system file such as ntdll.dll.

Reports of similar problems on Google fora generally point either to incompatibilities with anti-virus software (of a brand I am not using) or to a corrupted index file. In the latter case, it is suggested to delete this to allow a 'fresh start', and I have tried that without success. The same index file runs with Google Earth on another computer without problems. I have also tried downgrading to earlier versions, again with no luck. A full remove (using one of the better application removers) followed by a reinstall has also been tried.

My current hypothesis is that the problem relates to a Windows, rather than an application issue, but, as far as I know, no other application is affected.

I'm struggling to know where to look next, but hope that the skills of those in this forum may be able to suggest something more helpful than the solutions I have seen so far.

Thank you.
    Geoffrey
    Last edited by ggrinton; 2014-09-15 at 02:48.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Had you recently downloaded anything prior to this starting ?

As you've done a "clean" install of the program, then I don't think using the restore points to prior its occurrence would prove fruitful but the conflict could be arising because of other programs in your Startup menu.

Performing a clean boot could identify the conflict if this is the case http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried running after a "clean boot", but still have the same issues. All I can conclude is that there is some Windows module which has somehow been corrupted or changed, but I'm not willing to do a fresh Windows install at this time. Ho hum.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If this doesn't occur in Safe Mode then it could be graphics driver related and downloading those from your computer support site may do it.

Safe Mode will also isolate any 3rd party AV program, so you will need to also consider it could be your own AV program.

You can also use the free version of Slimdrivers to check if you have any other outdated drivers.

It's also possible an infection could be the cause and a scan with something like the free version of MBAM may snag something.

Had you downloaded/updated anything prior to the problem ?