Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why won't photos in my camera open with my default viewing app?

Win 7 Pro, SP1.

I have set Irfanview on my computer as the default viewer for JPEG photos. The JPEG's display with an Irfanview icon (in List or Details mode), and open in Irfanview when I double-click the icon.

However, when I connect my camera to my computer via the USB cable, navigate to the camera folder with my photos, and double-click on a photo, it opens in Windows Photo Viewer (although the icons of the photos in the camera still show as Irfanview icons in when viewed in List or Details mode). Why is this happening, and how can I stop it? It's interesting to note that if I right-click the photo and choose Open from the menu, the photo will open in Irfanview.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You can check the AutoPlay settings for the device once it's plugged in, if pictures is set to WPV or system default instead of Irfanview, that might be the cause.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N, I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly. I plugged in the camera, went into Control Panel/Autoplay and unchecked "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices", but this did not change the behavior. Could not find where the pictures are set to WPV or system default. What am I missing?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Try right clicking on the device in My Computer and open AutoPlay and see if there's an option for action to take for pictures. If not then at the bottom of that window will be View more options in Control Panel and see if you can set the default option for pictures there.

I think turning off AutoPlay just keeps it from popping up and engaging when a new device is detected.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's no option to open AutoPlay when I right-click the device in My Computer. Not under Properties either.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure, did you turn AutoPlay back on in Control Panel and set the pictures to Irfanview as the default? The device appears in Devices with Removable Storage? It might make a difference what format the pictures are also (jpeg or RAW) as far as detection and program that opens them.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I turned AutoPlay back on in Control Panel, but there is no option to set the pictures to Irfanview as the default. In Control Panel/Default Programs, JPEG files have been associated with Irfanview. All pictures in my camera are JPEGs.

The camera does appear in Device Manager under Portable Devices, but nowhere can I set the camera to use Irfanview as the default JPEG viewer.

I'm going to disable AutoPlay again in Control Panel (I prefer it that way), and take a look at the installed Canon software to see if it's taking control of the camera for viewing photos.

Thanks
    Windows sees many android devices as a media device NOT a storage device using Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). This is intertwined w/ Windows Media Player and maybe Photo Viewer as well. I am not sure at all how this may help you but best of luck. I never got XP to talk to my S3, another reason I am finally move'n on to W7
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    ...The camera does appear in Device Manager under Portable Devices, but nowhere can I set the camera to use Irfanview as the default JPEG viewer...
    In IrfanView go to "Options/Set file associations" and check that the checkbox for "JPG/JPEG/JPE JPEG Format" is ticked.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you hold down <shift> and right-click on the photo and select "open", it will open in Irfanview. At least it does for me

Thanks
    right click on a .jpeg,
    open with,
    choose default program,
    browse to Irfanview.
    (make surre to check the box that say 'always use the selected program')

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

Coochin, please note that in my OP, I stated "I have set Irfanview on my computer as the default viewer for JPEG photos." Isn't this what you're saying?

clpxm39 and Wiley, I also stated in my OP "It's interesting to note that if I right-click the photo and choose Open from the menu, the photo will open in Irfanview. "

To summarize, Irfanview is clearly set as the default app to open JPEGs, and will open them in every case except when double-clicked in my camera. It will also open them in my camera if I right-click and choose OPEN from the menu (no need to hold the shift key).

The problem remains.

Thanks
    well it looks like you'll have to hack the registry - back it up before you change anything

Thanks
    Have you tried changing the default action of opening a file from double-click (DC) to single and then testing the single-click action on the files in your camera? Use Option One, I don't believe it matters which Underline option you pick, but you can test to be sure: Single-Click or Double-Click to Open an Item

If that doesn't work, follow the Tip box at this link: Troubleshoot camera connection problems
    I didn't have problems with either using a USB connection or popping the SD card from my camera and putting it in a card reader on my machine, but there may be something in the camera software that's causing the DC problem. After a while I started liking, pulling the card instead of messing with the USB cord and, it removes the camera from the equation.

Here's two links for your Cannon, if you would have given the model# I could have narrowed it down for you.
    This one has manuals, if you don't have one. Check the connection procedure make sure you're following the sequence: Cannon Camera Owners Manuals

Same here about the model#: Maybe the camera software needs updated?

Are you tathraman? The Threads are eerily similar.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anak, thanks for your reply.

I have not tried to change to single-click to open a file. I don't like to use this option (for a variety of reasons), and I don't think I should have to in this case. Something else is happening here (not sure what).

I don't think that there's a camera connection problem here. The camera folder with the pictures is accessible and useable just like a disk drive or a flash drive (except for the double-click issue with JPEG's). If I connect the camera (with autoplay disabled), the camera shows up in My Computer under Portable Devices, and is navigable like any other drive (i.e., I can drill down through the folders to find my pictures). I can read, copy, move, or write files from or to the camera. If I select "Use AutoPlay for all medai and devices" (in Control Panel), the camera opens the Canon software under Portable Devices, which then gives mne the option to drill down through the folders to the pictures. In either case, the double-click problem remains.

So, with or without the Canon software, I have the problem, and it appears not to be a connection issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast