New Lounger
    Thanks

Advice needed, Please

I have a NIB Samsung laptop with Windows 8.1. Bought several months ago and never setup. I am unsure if I want the touchscreen option. My question is, should I wait for Win 9 or go ahead now and set this up with Win 8.1? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Alan,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new Poster!

I'd go ahead and set it up as you most likely be able to upgrade very easily.

If you don't want to deal with the touch screen you can get one of the Start button replacements which will make 8.1 look like Win 7 but still have all the 8.1 features.
    My favorite is StartIsBack. It's a paid app $3.00 and there are free alternatives if you wish.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

alanwk (2014-09-15)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ditto, except I use Classic Shell on 2 Notebooks and 1 Desktop.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

alanwk (2014-09-15)

Thanks
    Just to clarify things a little, the above posts relate to using a Start menu rather than the Modern Interface Start Screen (Which I assume the OP is really concerned with). This is totally independent of whether or not touch is enabled. Touch can be used in either environment and the Modern interface works well without touch.

To really avoid all the new Windows 8 (.1) interface tweaks and make it operate like Windows 7, you also probably want to enable boot to desktop and disable the hotspots at the four corners of the screen. This can be done natively within Windows 8.1 (not windows 8) or within the Start button replacement app.

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

alanwk (2014-09-15)

Thanks
    If the Touch Screen is a problem, (it was for me on an HP AIO) the touchscreen driver can be disabled.
    It looks like just another mouse driver, in the Hardware Manager.
    But don't remove the driver....because Windows will just reinstall it on the next boot-up.

The problem I had with the touch screen, was that I had a very small insect that would land on the screen and my cursor would jump to that location. It only took me a few minutes in Hardware Manager to find the correct driver and Disable it.

+1 on Classic Shell. With that, you can set your desktop to look like anything you want. And, it's FREE!

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

alanwk (2014-09-16),Betsy (2014-09-27)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alanwk View Post
    I have a NIB Samsung laptop with Windows 8.1. Bought several months ago and never setup. I am unsure if I want the touchscreen option. My question is, should I wait for Win 9 or go ahead now and set this up with Win 8.1? Thanks

You've got 8.1 right now, so, unless you're not planning on using the machine, why not set it up?
    As the Doc mentions with regards to touch, you're not obliged to use it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

alanwk (2014-09-16)