Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2013: Automating From VBA Generates Configuration Message Repeatedly

Hi,

I have a VB6 application that automates Word, basically starting it and creating a new Word document. It should also do some other things, but it never gets that far. As soon as the app is started and made visible I see a dialog appear that states "Configuration Progress" at the top, a progress bar, and below that "Configuring Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013...". This happens every time I execute the VB6 app, but not when I start Word manually. Incidentally, after the configuration screen disappears Word crashes and disappears with it.

I have set all of the "Trust" settings as liberally as possible. I have googled around and followed some of the suggestions from M$, but can't get it to stop configuring. I am running Office 2013 Professional Plus on Windows 8.1.

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What can you tell us about the VB6 application? Is it a commercial product or developed inhouse? Are you able to view the code?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is my own application, nothing special. I believe I can reproduce the issue with a generic VB app that simply opens a document. Instantiating Word itself is not a problem, nor making it visible. But when I attempt to open a document it triggers the configuration screen and crash.

There are many threads on the Net about this, although most are related to normal opening of Office documents through the office app itself, not through automation.

I recall this being a long-standing Office issue, plaguing me back in the early O2003 days, although I did not experience it with O2007 or O2010.

One other salient piece of info I neglected to mention is that my Office 2013 installation was done as an upgrade of O2010.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is odd that you can get a config message after Word is open by opening document. What are the lines of code are you using to open the document?

Do you get the same config message result if the code was modified to create a new document in the same instance of Word that you had already instantiated?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your help.

Hmmm, very interesting. I created a small app to replicate the issue and tried 2 approaches -- 1) create a new instance, 2) use an existing instance. The problem does not occur when using an existing instance. Here is the code:

Private Sub Command1_Click()

Dim objWord As Word.Application
    Dim objDoc As Word.Document

Set objWord = New Word.Application
    ' Set objWord = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
    objWord.Visible = True
    Set objDoc = objWord.Documents.Add '<= triggers the configuration screen

End Sub

The code above as-is will trigger the config screen. Stepping through, it happens only after the line to add a new document is executed. If I comment out the instantiation of Word and un-comment the GetObject statement, it works fine. This kind of makes sense in that Word is already started, so -- in theory! -- no configuration is required at that point.

I also tried instantiating Word using CreateObject instead of the "New" keyword, but still had the issue.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Your code works fine on my Word 2013 machine so perhaps there is something special about your computer.

I would normally expect this configuration message to occur only if you have multiple versions of Word installed on your machine. Is that the case? If so, can you specify a version of Word eg Word.Application.15

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it works fine on a Win 7 machine that I have as well. It only happens on my Win 8 machine. I had upgraded a previous installation of Office 2010 to 2013, so this might be the culprit, although the same kind of upgrade was done on the win 7 machine as well.

I tried using the version-specific progid, e.g. Word.Application.15, but that fails as well.

There is a multitude of similar complaints across the Net, with apparently no clear answer. I will keep searching. Thanks for your assistance, Andrew. Perhaps a fellow sufferer will see this and post a solution.