5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB to PS/2 Adapter- can this adapter be used for other devices? Thank you

USB to PS/2 Adapter- can this adapter be used for other devices?

Thank you

Thanks
    Other than keyboard and mouse?
    No.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you

New Lounger
    Thanks
    actually not to be rude, but I have used these adapters along with a ps2 keyboard extension cable. you can buy a female usb to ps2 adapter which would go on the other end of the extension cable and you could make a really long USB cable I use one to charge my tablet. I added a little shrink tubing so that they wouldn't come apart. I did this because the 13 inch cable that came with my tablet made it hard to read in bed since you had to practically sit next to the outlet with the cable being so short.also my son uses it with his PlayStation 3 controller when he wants to still keep playing while charging his controller, again the cable that comes with the PlayStation 3 is pretty short.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is an unknown gem for quite a while.
    PS2 ports have 5V output. (Pin-9 of VGA too!)

Yes, mouse PS2 specification says its 5V is only 275mA (0.275A) capable. In 'modern' PCs, it is rarely implemented.

On my desktop PCs, I use the keyboard PS2 5V to power up all my external devices: USB hub, external hard drives, etc. When PC is off, all external devices are off!
    It also powers up a power strip (via electronic relay inside the strip). So everything that plugged into the power strip powers on/off in sync with the PC/laptop. Convenient and green.

On the keyboard PS2 port the 5V can supply 1A typical, limiting only by the on-board 1A fuse. Some 'modern' PCs do not even have this fuse (save cost). Draw all the current you want until the motherboard short circuit protection activated.

Another 5V source is from VGA connector pin-9. The current capacity is 1A, protected.

For DIY enthusiast:
    Add a fuse in series with the extension wire or USB charge cable, to protect your PC/laptop. Better, use a resettable poly fuse than a normal fuse. Poly fuse resets once the overload is removed. Poly fuse is small, can even fit inside a USB connector.
    Beware of specifications on poly fuse. Poly fuse trips at 2X of the marked current. To trip/disconnect at 1A, use a 0.5A poly fuse.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried a couple of PS/2 to USB adapters, didn't work then in researching them found that most such adapters for keyboards were replacements, only worked with keyboards that originally came with the adapter. The green adapter for mice don't seem to have the problem.