3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing DVD R/W driver?

In my travels I picked up an older Acer Aspire M5640 that was looking for a new home.
    God knows why I thought I needed it, but there you go!

Anyway I am trying to install Vista Enterprise 64 bit on the cleaned HDD, booting from the DVD drive.
    It just nicely gets started loading files and comes up with a message about a missing DVD driver.
    I assume this is for the DVD drive, since the only other drive is the HDD. Both are found in the bios BTW.
    And it seems kind of weird, since the DVD drive is what I am booting and installing from in the first place; so how can it need a driver?

I did a Google search for (Hitachi) LG model GH15N (from the bios), and came up with a topic that stated that windows will install the native drivers necessary during installation, which makes sense.
    Can anyone tell me why its coming up with this missing driver garbage, and what I need to do about it?

thanks,
    rstew

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Could it be a corrupt install disk ?

Do you have any other install disks, even of a different version you could try ?

Thanks
    Are you installing Windows Vista from on top of Windows itself, or are you doing so by
    booting the disk and performing a format & clean install?

I recommend installing the OS by format & clean install from the DVD while booting. Doing so by any other means
    carries the risk compounding corruptions from the previous installation.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Are you installing Windows Vista from on top of Windows itself, or are you doing so by
    booting the disk and performing a format & clean install?

I recommend installing the OS by format & clean install from the DVD while booting. Doing so by any other means
    carries the risk compounding corruptions from the previous installation.
    I am trying to install a non-oem version on what is supposed to be a wiped hdd. How can I format the hdd from the vista boot DVD?

Thanks
    rstew

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the HDD has truly been wiped Vista [and other versions of Windows] should prompt to start the formatting when booting to the disc.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    If the HDD has truly been wiped Vista [and other versions of Windows] should prompt to start the formatting when booting to the disc.
    I think what I'll do is remove the drive and format it in another computer, then re-install it and see if the Vista dvd suggests formatting.
    if it does, I'll format it again.
    That should work, right?

rstew

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That certainly should work, I've used a different computer to wipe HDDs for salvaging.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    I am trying to install a non-oem version on what is supposed to be a wiped hdd. How can I format the hdd from the vista boot DVD?

Thanks
    rstew
    Place the Vista DVD in the DVD/CD ROM drive then boot the system.
    Provided the system has been setup to boot to DVD/CD ROM drive, you may then
    proceed to format and install Vista.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Place the Vista DVD in the DVD/CD ROM drive then boot the system.
    Provided the system has been setup to boot to DVD/CD ROM drive, you may then
    proceed to format and install Vista.
    Clint;
    Thanks for your input.
    The DVD drive is set to the first boot device, the HDD second.
    I have tried an OEM Vista disk, as well as a newly aquired non-OEM 64 bit disk.
    In both cases it opens up with a black screen saying its loading files.
    Then it opens a green screen where you put in the language, the keyboard style, etc.
    Then you click on an install button.
    Once you click on that it starts loading files, but quickly stops with a window saying it needs a missing driver.

I have just tried fomatting the HDD in my new rig which runs Win7 x 64.
    The bios shows the new drive, and it shows up in hardware under Win7, but not in disk management, or in "computer"
    All that shows up is the original C: drive.
    What do I have to do so Win7 can "find" the drive, so I can format it?
    I can't figure out why Win7 doesn't automatically find new hardware???

rstew

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another discovery:
    I tried another spare 750 gb sata drive in the new Win7 rig, and behold, there it was in "computer", no problem.
    Right after bootup windows showed that it found new hardware, and installed a driver for this drive.
    This did not happen for the original 250 gb drive I took out of the Acer. Then I noticed on its label that it says "made by Seagate for OEM distribution."

So now I am thinking that this drive is specific to Acer somehow, and that is what the missing driver business is all about. I guess Windows does not include the necessary driver for this OEM drive.
    I of course don't have the original Acer OEM Vista install disk, which would probably include all the specific hardware drivers needed.
    Does this thought process make sense? And does anyone have an idea for a workaround to get the OEM drive working?

thanks,
    rstew
    Last edited by rstew; 2014-09-17 at 23:59.

Thanks
    So now I am thinking that this drive is specific to Acer somehow, and that is what the missing driver business is all about. I guess Windows does not include the necessary driver for this OEM drive.
    I kind of doubt it. These drives aren't that complicated.

THIS is what you should be seeing with a freshly booted clean install of Vista.
    Pay close attention to the various screens for the type of install and format options.
    winvista_install_clean_016.jpg
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-09-18 at 00:27.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint
    Yes I am familiar with that screen, but with this one it puts up the missing driver window before it gets that far.
    The progress bar only gets about half that far in the "collecting information" bar.

I got on the sea gate site and searched the s/n.
    It said there is no available firmware update and to check with the oem for info.
    I am at a complete loss.

rstew

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Could be a longshot with a laptop but could you go the motherboard number route and check for drivers ?

Downloading them would be a problem though.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-18 at 13:41.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved!
    I finally got sick and tired of messing with the original Acer MS7399 mobo. I swapped in a spare Asus 775 mobo with a Xeon X5470 CPU. It posted just fine and booted up no issues.
    Installed Vista 64 bit using the original DVDs drive and 250 gb hdd. No driver issues at all and it is pretty speedy for an old 775 socket.
    I ran Passmark and it clocked at just under 5000. Not bad!

So thanks to all for the help!

rstew