Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sneak peak: An early look at the next Windows

TOP STORY

By Woody Leonhard

After months of speculation, we're now seeing some credible leaks showing parts of the next Windows.

Invitations are going out now for Microsoft's Windows Technical Preview debut, scheduled for Sept. 30 in San Francisco; here's what the current tea leaves portend.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/sneak-peak-an-early-look-at-the-next-windows (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using (with pleasure) "Start Menu Reviver" which does a lot of the things which Win (9) promises. We live in hope! I have been computing since DOS and it is amusing to look back now at screen shots of the early Windows - OMG!
    Thanks to all for Windows Secrets. Couldn't live without them!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if MS will allow us "suckers" on Windows 8 or 8.1 a FREE upgrade to the new improved operating system? Or will the almighty $ win?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I went from 3.1 to Win95, quickly transitioned to Win98, managed to avoid Win ME, then to Win XP, avoided Vista and then to Windows 7. But unfortunately, buying a new laptop was I saddled with Windows8 (now 8.1)! This O/S I would put in the same breath as Win ME and Vista. Will MS care? As plkoz has said, "we live in hope!"
    Last edited by lvr181; 2014-09-18 at 01:46. Reason: Grammar

Thanks
    Personally, I hope that I don't have to return to the horrid Windows start menu, never liked it. The start screen is soo much better (as far as I'm concerned). MS have always offered multiple ways of doing things, I hope they don't take away the start screen.

I've used Win ME - nowt wrong with it (well until I reformatted my HD and reinstalled it). Vista was OK, but bloatware. If I remember rightly, people complained about Aero, but when it was removed in Win 7, they complained that it had gone!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I created an account just so I could post this. I have a new PC I put Win 8.1 on, as I needed to advance with development of an ASP.NET app to latest software versions. It was one of the most hideous and painful transitions ever. I started with Win 8, and was grateful for Wi 8.1. I at least tamed the device to the point it booted to the desktop, and gave me a rational working environment for development, using, well, "Windows" on the desktop.

In the new version, there are a couple of things that for me are just drop dead important.

One, no subscription. Just let me buy the license, whether retail or through my MSDN subsription, and we are done. Moving to a revenue by monthly rental is just a revenue stream enhancer, and not acceptable. This is why e.g. I will not be upgrading any Adobe products past my 5.5 versions my wife and I use, me on PC, her on Mac.

Second, please drop the charms bar. On my dual screen desktop, it is almost impossible to reliably wake it up any way. And it is a classic example of what Vincent Flanders, famous critic of bad web design, calls 'mystery meat navigation'. It is just absurd to have to use hidden menus that only magically appear if you wave a magic wand on the page (or screen) just right.

And as for the metro or whatever versions of apps, I never use them. For settings and tech support, I use the control panel and the excellent tools that Microsoft had delivered over time. At least they plan to make the metro apps act in windows, and you can close them without pretending you are working on a tablet of phone.

That always amazed me, actually, and made me wonder just what the Win 8 designers were thinking? I use my box to work. Database development, using multiple tools, in an efficient windowed environment. WITH A MOUSE. And a keyboard. Never in a million years would I use my fingers to manipulate dual 24" monitors to do stuff. I have to work as it is to prevent reptitive motion pain in my right arm and shoulder, including reversing which hand uses the mouse, forcing myself to move my heavy coffee mug to my left hand. Just imagine the added stress and resulting pain if I were having to stroke my screens which are 28" away from my eyes to accomplish tasks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Personally, I hope that I don't have to return to the horrid Windows start menu, never liked it. The start screen is soo much better (as far as I'm concerned). MS have always offered multiple ways of doing things, I hope they don't take away the start screen.

I've used Win ME - nowt wrong with it (well until I reformatted my HD and reinstalled it). Vista was OK, but bloatware. If I remember rightly, people complained about Aero, but when it was removed in Win 7, they complained that it had gone!

Unfortunately I would think that thousands (or maybe millions) of employers around the world would prefer NOT to have to retrain staff - with the associated costs involved - from a system that they have been so used to using.

Thanks
    HoosierWinuser, I agree with you about the subscription model - but many companies either now use it or are moving to it. I doubt that MS will not do so.
    The charms bar hasn't been a success and I won't miss it. However, I've never found it a problem. When it pops out I just ignore it and it disappears.
    'Metro' apps - these can be closed now very easily - move the mouse to the top of the screen and then to the red x and close it, or right click on the icon on the task bar and close it - simples!
    Touch screens. Why do people think a touch screen is essential to work in W8 - it's not. I don't have touch screens (I too have dual monitors) and I can do any work at all with the mouse and keyboard. It's just not true that you have to have a touch screen (even with Modern apps).
    Personally, I would be able to work fine on a Win8 PC and I do work with databases as well (Office 2003, should I go for Office365?)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If it is another reincarnation of Win8 then I will be staying exactly where I am, they totally destroyed my faith in Windows, and unless they go back to Win7 and start from there then I'm not interested. I love the feel and the way that Win7 works on a Desktop or Laptop along with the Aero type interface, not all of us use or want to use something that is made for tablets or phones on a Desktop/Laptop, Microsoft need to keep them separate and not try to force us to use something entirely alien that is made for touch screen devices when we are using mice and keyboards and a hell of a lot more power.

Windows 7 has been the best OS that Microsoft has ever produced for PCs and they want to enhance it not destroy it and make PCs look like big phones.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest naming the (new? and improved?) version, Windows FUBAR. Synonymous with my history in the military and with windows. I'm sticking with 7 until there's no recourse. Been burned to many times lately.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

TOP STORY

By Woody Leonhard

After months of speculation, we're now seeing some credible leaks showing parts of the next Windows.

Invitations are going out now for Microsoft's Windows Technical Preview debut, scheduled for Sept. 30 in San Francisco; here's what the current tea leaves portend.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/sneak-peak-an-early-look-at-the-next-windows (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    I will feel cheated if a free upgrade to "Win 9" is not made available - my Dell Win 7 All-in-One touchscreen PC was replaced under warranty with a Win8 PC in August 2013. They claimed it was impossible to supply a Win 7 replacement. Having seen comments all over the web about it, I would never have bought a new Win 8 or 8.1 computer.

Win 8.1 arrived the following month and, with Stardock start menu, it is more user-friendly although still unsatisfactory. I need a workhorse, not a toy. Judging by the many similar comments on many online forum sites , there seems a clear need for both a Win 7 and 8-type OS to be made available. People have clear preferences for one or the other version. There's an old saying in the UK - if it ain't broke, don't mend it!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Woody,

PEAK?? PEAK?? I know that sneak is spelled with an "ea" and the mountain top is "ea", but the look-see type is spelled PEEK!! Regardless, I am going to have a "sneak peek".

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As my farming relatives used to say: "Don't count your chickens before they hatch." To declare Windows 9 a winner at this early date is premature. I am sure Microsoft is floating different forks of the Windows 9 to gauge the overall acceptability of the user interface, although I wonder why. After all, Metro was not accepted by the marketplace, which basically threw up all over it. So Woody may well be right about the reemergence of the start menu. And he will surely be right that Windows 9 is better than Windows 8. How can it not be better?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why do you keep bashing Windows 8? Add "Classic Start Menu" and Windows 8 is exactly like Windows XP and Windows 7 in its main functionality. No one need avoid Windows 8 any more - it is perfectly fine. Stop acting like it is worthless. One trick and all problems are solved. We don't need Windows 9.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen rumors that 9 may be a free or low cost upgrade for 8/8.1 owners. We will have to wait and see what the final decision is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast