New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2010 copy/paste giving incorrect results.

I am running Excel 2010 on Windows 7 64 bit version, and I'm having a problem with copy and paste.

I'm attempting to copy and paste a blocks of cells from one worksheet to another and get two different types of errors on the paste.

If I select cells A1 - A5 on one sheet, when I paste into the second sheet I might get the data from cells A1, A4, and A5 pasted into cells A1, A2, and A3 on the second sheet.
    Or I might get something like A1, zzz, A2, A3, zzz, zzz,A4, A5 in cells A1-A8. The zzz is a value that previously was in the cells, but has long been deleted.

That is:
    Select
    AAAAA
    BBBBB
    CCCCC
    DDDDD
    EEEEE

Get after paste:
    AAAAA
    DDDDD
    EEEEE

or

AAAAA
    zzz
    BBBBB
    CCCCC
    zzz
    zzz
    DDDDD
    EEEEE

I've tried to get rid of any kind of invisible formatting by pasting first into Notepad and then copying the text out, but that does not help.

Note: My data includes street names from Paris, so my text does include special alphabetic characters and hyphens

Is this a recognized problem with a known solution?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I copied your list of 5 items and tried in Excel 2010 and also in LibreOffice Calc 4.3, appeared to Copy and Paste correctly on 3 sheets. I have only English versions of programs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I copied your list of 5 items and tried in Excel 2010 and also in LibreOffice Calc 4.3, appeared to Copy and Paste correctly on 3 sheets. I have only English versions of programs.
    I suspect that others will get the same result. I suspect that there is some form of corruption in my worksheet that I don't know how to clear.

Thanks
    krf,

If you copied the text from the internet and pasted into your cells, you often get hidden non-printable formatted characters. Try the clean function: =CLEAN(A1).

HTH,
    Maud

Thanks
    Are all the rows unhidden in both the copy and the source?

Steve