New Lounger
    Thanks

Converting audio books to MP3 for thumb drives

I am a busy healthcare professional www.Naturopath4you.com and with the exception of my many journals and newsletters, I rarely have time to read things like books.
    My solution has been to listen to audiobooks as I drive, but this presents a problem. Audible, which has a huge selection has everything in .aa audio format (audible audio).
    It is their proprietary format and they wish it to be Unconvertible to other formats, supposedly for copyright protection. I understand the reasoning as I have copyrights on all my educational DVDs and on my website and these are not cheap.
    However- when you purchase a real book, you own it and can rip out or dog ear its pages, highlight phrases, lend it to friends etc.
    I only have time to listen in my car while driving. They (Audible) give you the ability to use iTunes in order to burn their audio books onto CDís but that permanently ruins 12 to 20 CDís which is a tremendous waste of money. I wanted to convert their audio files to MP3, load them on a thumb drive and insert that into my car radio till I finish the book. Then load the next book and listen to that one. When I phoned audible (wow, you van actually get a real person on the phone) they told me I could buy an iPhone or similar device and the required attachments to connect it to my cars radio and then load the book from iTunes onto the device. I told them I donít need or want another device, I just want to convert their books to MP3 and use a thumb drive which they said could not be done due to copyright laws and their proprietary .aa audio format. Searching for .aa to MP3 converters on line, I found quite a few and downloaded their trial versions. Most did not work or the quality sucked. Tune Convert worked perfectly and so I bought it and have used it for the past year to accomplish my task and listen to my audio books. It recently stopped working due to Audible changing the DRM coding on their .aa files. I contacted Tune Convert and they said that due to a communication from Audible, they would no longer make their program able to do the .aa conversion (which sucks). A couple of other programs can do it but they only work in real time and the audio needs to be turned up on the computer during the conversion so I cannot have it doing its work in the background and books are generally 12 to 20 hours or more!
    Tune Convert did multiple books at the same time WAY FASTER than real time and with no such audio problem.
    Any suggestions? I really have enjoyed all the books I can ďreadĒ while driving and I would like to find a solution to keep converting .aa to MP3 and listening to more books

Lounger
    Thanks

DRM Converter

There is a program called DRM Converter, which claims to be able to convert any Audible files to MP3: http://drm-converter.com/.
    I would not know if Audible have blocked its operation or not, but there is apparently a Trial version that gives you 30 seconds or so of converted file. Perhaps if it works, you could think about buying the full program - the simplest version does Audio files, and seems to cost $39.99
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by naturopath View Post
    I am a busy healthcare professional www.Naturopath4you.com and with the exception of my many journals and newsletters, I rarely have time to read things like books.
    My solution has been to listen to audiobooks as I drive, but this presents a problem. Audible, which has a huge selection has everything in .aa audio format (audible audio).
    It is their proprietary format and they wish it to be Unconvertible to other formats, supposedly for copyright protection. I understand the reasoning as I have copyrights on all my educational DVDs and on my website and these are not cheap.
    However- when you purchase a real book, you own it and can rip out or dog ear its pages, highlight phrases, lend it to friends etc.
    I only have time to listen in my car while driving. They (Audible) give you the ability to use iTunes in order to burn their audio books onto CDís but that permanently ruins 12 to 20 CDís which is a tremendous waste of money. I wanted to convert their audio files to MP3, load them on a thumb drive and insert that into my car radio till I finish the book. Then load the next book and listen to that one. When I phoned audible (wow, you van actually get a real person on the phone) they told me I could buy an iPhone or similar device and the required attachments to connect it to my cars radio and then load the book from iTunes onto the device. I told them I donít need or want another device, I just want to convert their books to MP3 and use a thumb drive which they said could not be done due to copyright laws and their proprietary .aa audio format. Searching for .aa to MP3 converters on line, I found quite a few and downloaded their trial versions. Most did not work or the quality sucked. Tune Convert worked perfectly and so I bought it and have used it for the past year to accomplish my task and listen to my audio books. It recently stopped working due to Audible changing the DRM coding on their .aa files. I contacted Tune Convert and they said that due to a communication from Audible, they would no longer make their program able to do the .aa conversion (which sucks). A couple of other programs can do it but they only work in real time and the audio needs to be turned up on the computer during the conversion so I cannot have it doing its work in the background and books are generally 12 to 20 hours or more!
    Tune Convert did multiple books at the same time WAY FASTER than real time and with no such audio problem.
    Any suggestions? I really have enjoyed all the books I can ďreadĒ while driving and I would like to find a solution to keep converting .aa to MP3 and listening to more books

Thanks
    Have you seen http://www.audible.com/dc - it's a list of devices that can play .aa files (with the appropriate software). There may be something there you can use.

The Wikipedia article for Audible has quite a lot about their DRM as well (but it didn't look hopeful for what you want ).