2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wndows logo key equivalent in non-windows keyboards

Hi -am sticking with my reliable IBM keyboard (I know, I know, but I can't stand the flimsy keyboards that come with Dell) and I thought I saw on some site a keyboard equivalent to Windlows Logo key.
    (Am looking in particular for a fast way to get to desktop without mousing over to right-hand side of taskbar and clicking there)

Thank you

Thanks
    If you download/install something like AutoHotkey (or AutoIt) then you can emulate whatever "Windows logo key plus" combinations that you want.

For example, have a look at Hotkeys...

Hope this helps....
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-09-18 at 21:32.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

mipendance (2014-09-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip, Rick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    CTRL+ESC also does it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ctrl+Esc on my Custom [Gigabyte boards] and Dell computers opens the Start menu. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Esc minimizes the window such as this one letting the next window/program be visible. Having more than 2 programs open calls for repetitively pressing Ctrl+Alt+Esc to minimize each to get to the one desired.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-09-19 at 13:03.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Pressing the Win key just opens the Start menu as well to navigate the computer, which is what I thought the OP was asking about.

Here are some more keys you can use for other operations http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000791.htm
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-19 at 13:18.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What I am really looking for is probably not possible, but...

On my non-Windows keyboard (IBM PS2) is it possible to simulate the WIndows Key to be able to use shortcuts associated with it. I imagine I would have to do scripting to accomplish this???

Thanks
    You could try a keyboard remapping program to map an unused key (tilde ?) to windows key. Some are listed at
    http://www.softpedia.com/hubs/Key-Mapper

Jerry

Thanks
    Does this help? Emulate non-existent Windows key (using AutoHotkey).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to see others had this question. Am sorry to say I vaguely understood what was being demonstrated but I wouldn't know how to implement it. I do thank you for steering me in that direction.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry, for that site.

Thanks
    @mipendance - Sorry, I should have explained better. The Autohotkey code, when run, makes the 'Left-Shift and Tab' key combination into the same action as pressing the Win key (if you had one). When you press the Left-Shift and Tab keys together a small dialog showing WIN appears over the Start orb (and stays there for 3 seconds). Whilst this WIN dialog is in view you can press another key to give you the Win key combination you want.

So, for example, to display the 'Run' dialog normally accessed by using the Win key + R key together you would do the following:

1. Press the Left-Shift and Tab keys together then release.
    2. Press the R key (within 3 seconds).

Once the AutoHotkey program is run it just sits there monitoring whether the Left-Shift and Tab keys are pressed together at the same time. (If I needed this then I would compile the AutoHotkey script to an executable then place a shortcut to the executable in the Startup folder so the program ran automatically whenever I switched my PC on.)

If you ever want to exit the AutoHotkey program then you press Left-Shift and Esc keys together.

Hope this helps explain it better.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-09-21 at 07:04.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Ctrl+Esc on my Custom [Gigabyte boards] and Dell computers opens the Start menu. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Esc minimizes the window such as this one letting the next window/program be visible. Having more than 2 programs open calls for repetitively pressing Ctrl+Alt+Esc to minimize each to get to the one desired.
    Dude, I think you're doing it the hard way. If you hold Alt and press Tab, a special window appears with thumbnails of all of your open apps; you can then keep pressing Tab till you've selected the one you want on top.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    Dude, I think you're doing it the hard way. If you hold Alt and press Tab, a special window appears with thumbnails of all of your open apps; you can then keep pressing Tab till you've selected the one you want on top.
    That works fine for what's already open, but it doesn't offer an opportunity to open something that isn't already open. However, in Windows 8/8.1 it will take you immediately off the Start Screen and to the Desktop if there's something open on the desktop.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-02-03 at 21:09.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows