New Lounger
    Thanks

Does a slower router slow the first Modem router down

I have a recent model (Billion 7800NL) modem router and then I have another older router - Belkin wireless G router - probably about 15 years old. The billion currently connects to the internet and my LAN.

I wanted to connect the Belkin up to the network and operate it as an access point. I would achieve this by running a cable between the Belkin and the Billion.

Is the fact that the Belkin being so old going to be a problem? Could it slow down the network just because it is slower than everything else?

Thanks

Thanks
    No problem at all as in setting it up. There would be some limitations to the old router....eg....LAN port speed on it will only be 10/100 and the wifi (G) will only see speeds up to 54 mpbs. If you have wifi devices that support only G then you're good to go. However, if you have wifi devices that support the N standard then I would suggest getting a newer/modern wifi router.
    Last edited by bassfisher6522; 2014-09-19 at 13:19.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try using the 7800NL as the AP and that could provide N wireless speeds for any N speed capable devices - but for any Billion product specific advice, then register at www.billion.uk.com/forum which is tech monitored by billion_fan.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-19 at 07:10.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As you are cabling the routers the limit will be the cable speed - 100Mb at best. If this is only for an internet connection then it will be plenty fast enough. If it's for internal network use you may find the network a little slow, but probably won't notice any difference unless you are streaming high def video.

cheers, Paul