3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turn your Windows PC into a Wi-Fi hotspot

Thank you - Windows Secrets Lounge - for the article on how to turn on a WiFi hotspot.

Earlier this week, I stayed in an hotel in Amsterdam who demanded 17.00 (nearly US$ 22.00) for 24 hours WiFi access. This Scotsman doesn't appreciate being gouged like that by a Dutchman, and sought alternatives. The Vodafone roaming contract ( 3.00 per day) extended my UK contract terms to the Netherlands. I tethered my Samsung Galaxy S3 by USB to allow my laptop internet access over the mobile data signal, and then opened up the portable WiFi hotspot on the Galaxy S3 for my wife to connect her iPad. Marginal cost - zero!

Thank you WSL!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Nice story. Glad you were able to do what you needed. Thanks for posting.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It helped us a lot, but now we're stuck. Win 8.1, local area connections sharing tab, internet connection sharing, instead of a drop-down menu, we only see an edit block, and that doesn't allow input (the name that it's frozen no is the BlueTooth port). What did we miss? If we had the dropdown, we'd point sharing to our wired connection and be in business. Thanks for getting us this close.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Bluetooth is a wireless thing but suitable for short-range devices such as a mouse, keyboard, cellphone, tablet, etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, but we are trying to get the system to open up as a hot spot, and we can't see how to get the hard-wired "wi-fi" to become a drop-down that let's us get where we want to go. It looked good in the W.S. posting a few weeks ago, but to get it to work ... .

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can turn your whole house into a wireless hot spot: Just get Comcast with one of their new routers. Note: They may not tell you about your new status. ;-)

Thanks
    To Disable the XFINITY WiFi feature on your Wireless Gateway , visit My Account at http://customer.comcast.com/, click on “Users & Preferences”, and then select “Manage XFINITY WiFi.

Jerry