New Lounger
    Thanks

Installing nothing but MS Word

I just now tried for the third time to install only MS Word on my computer, but the result was the same.

I have a CD with MS Office 2013 on it, and I try to do a custom install, because I want nothing but Word. I have no use for Outlook, Power Point, etc., and don't want them on my computer. That's why, during the installation I choose "Customize," and then remove the (+) marks beside everything but Word. I then go through the rest of the installation, thinking my selection(s) will be honored, but they are not.

When I restart the computer, the menu heading for Office 2013, when clicked, shows that every program on the CD was installed.

As I said, that happened today for the third time.

Do any of you know if there's a way for me to install just one part of Office 2013, or am I going to be forced to look elsewhere when all I want is a word processor?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Down just past halfway:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...010354261.aspx
    Install or remove individual Office program components

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doclocke1611 View Post
    I have a CD with MS Office 2013 on it, and I try to do a custom install, because I want nothing but Word. I have no use for Outlook, Power Point, etc., and don't want them on my computer. That's why, during the installation I choose "Customize," and then remove the (+) marks beside everything but Word. I then go through the rest of the installation, thinking my selection(s) will be honored, but they are not.

When I restart the computer, the menu heading for Office 2013, when clicked, shows that every program on the CD was installed.
    Clicking the +/- symbols has no effect on what apps get installed - to avoid installing something that gets installed by default, you have to expand the relevant options and choose the 'Not Available' or 'Installed on First Use' one.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to the two members who responded to my query. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you; the fall fishing here in Washington has been great this year, especially on the Columbia River impoundments, and I've been spending all my spare time out in my boat.

I did, indeed, try the method of installing only MS Word that both responders suggested, and while it did seem to install only that program, I learned to my dismay that when it was time to use Windows Update, it tried to get me to install updates for every program on the CD, even though they were supposedly not installed. Since the total size of the updates was more than 1.68 GB (!), I chose to uninstall MS Office totally, and can see no reason to ever have it on my computer.

I'm assuming there is no way to prevent this from happening, but if someone has different information, I'd appreciate hearing from them.