Thanks

Question Word footnote number formats

Though I am a user of Mac Word 2011, this question is likely to be equally applicable to Windows Word.

I have written a fabulous document, which has many footnotes. There is a fair amount of technical notation in the document, so having footnotes as plain numbers (1, 2, 3, …) or letters (a, b, c, …) might cause some optical confusion. And there are many footnotes, so labelling a footnote as “xxxviii” would be ugly.

My ideal would be to label footnotes as †1, †2, †3, … †38. The dagger makes this thing of a different type to the technical wording in the document, without being too spacious. And the † prefix even makes it look like a footnote. Aesthetically, I like.

One possibility would be to manually insert a dagger before each footnote, in text and in footnotes, and format the † as the style ‘Footnote Reference’. But footnote markers are also within-document hyperlinks, and the daggers would fall outside the hyperlinks. (Yes, I really know, the hyperlinks don’t work, but let’s pretend.) Also, it isn’t robust: I will surely forget at least once.

Please, gentle experts of Windows Secrets, by what cunning means can Word be made to number footnotes as †1, †2, †3, … †38?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Basically, you can't. Word gives a range of pre-defined formats and that's it. Of course, you could use Find/Replace to insert the † before anything formatted with the FooteNote Reference Style...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

jdaw1 (2014-09-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The footnote itself is reasonably easy to add a dagger to by adding it as a bullet to the style "Footnote Text". You would set it up so that the bullet is not followed by any space or a tab.

Getting the dagger in the footnote reference is going to be trickier. I would do it via a macro after all the footnotes have been added although you may code it so that the macro could be run anytime. You could also code a macro to add the dagger at the same time as you insert the footnote but you would most likely need the other macro anyway.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

jdaw1 (2014-09-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Basically, you can't. Word gives a range of pre-defined formats and that's it.
    :-(

you could use Find/Replace to insert the † before anything formatted with the FooteNote Reference Style...
    Good suggestion, but that wouldn’t fix the problem about the † being outside the within-document hyperlinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    The footnote itself is reasonably easy to add a dagger to by adding it as a bullet to the style "Footnote Text". You would set it up so that the bullet is not followed by any space or a tab.
    Hadn’t thought of that. That also would require additional intricacy to cope with multi-paragraph footnotes, of which there are plenty. (Currently the style is just a hanging indent, ¶s after the first beginning with a tab.)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Getting the dagger in the footnote reference is going to be trickier. I would do it via a macro after all the footnotes have been added although you may code it so that the macro could be run anytime. You could also code a macro to add the dagger at the same time as you insert the footnote but you would most likely need the other macro anyway.
    Hmm. Not elegant, but could work — though also without fixing the problem about the † being outside the within-document hyperlinks.

Thanks
    Word gives a range of pre-defined formats and that's it.
    Apologies, I should have realised for myself how to know this. Alas WdNoteNumberStyle is an enumeration, not a string, so it isn’t possible to do in the way I have asked.

And, alas, wdNoteNumberStyleNumberInCircle doesn’t work after footnote 20.
    Last edited by jdaw1; 2014-09-20 at 07:10.

Thanks
    The †s have been added by hand. They had to be added in the main text, at the start of each footnote, and at every Cross-reference pointing to a footnote. Too complicated for a script, so done by hand. Not entirely satisfactory, but if Word is to be improved, there are more important things to do.

Thank you for the help, definitive and correct, even if not quite what was wanted.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    As I said, you could have done them via Find/Replace. That would take a few seconds to do a whole document.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]