New Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstalling iOS 7 on my wife's iPad

Help!
    I am trying to restore my wife’s ipad to iOS 7. (She does not like the changes made to some of her apps. I have downloaded a copy of 7.1.2.ipsw to my PC desktop. I am able to get to the itunes screen that seemed to allow me to recover to iOS 7. But then I get an “unknown error” message (error 3014).

Is there any way that I can get iOS 7 back on her ipad?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I am sure you already know, Apple does not want you to down grade from iOS 8 to iOS 7, and does not provide a way to do it.

Since you have already downloaded iOS 7.1.2 and started trying to downgrade, I'm sure you have seen the same hacks that I have seen for doing it. (which I haven't tried. My wife hasn't upgraded her ipad or iphone yet)

If you can find a different set of instructions, you should try them instead.

Some ISPs close certain ports that you made need for the downgrade. Do you have access to an account with a different ISP?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

IndyDan (2014-09-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it is worth, I was finally able to reinstall iOS 7. It turned out to sort of a "brute force" process. Just as you said, Apple does not make it very easy to go back, but they don't almost impossible for a few days after introduction of a new, major revision of their iOS. What I did was go to the screen that was supposed to allow recovery. By doing a "special right click" a choice to recover to iOS 7 popped up. As I said in my first post, the error 3014 message kept appearing. One of the posts that I found after your post that gave re-installation instructions got a comment from someone who said that they were having the same experience as I did -- but they kept repeating it (20 times) until they succeeded. I only had to do it for 8 or 10 times.

As I understand it, this approach (maybe all approaches) will probably end shortly because Apple will stop validating the installation of iOS 7. I am not familiar with Apple software or firmware so I do not know whether there will be a work-around.

Thanks
    So MS stop support of XP after 15 years, but don't stop you installing it. Apple, stop supporting old OSs after a couple of years and make it hard to revert.

And people complain about MS and think Apple is wonderful.....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Were you able to get all of your wife's apps reloaded and working okay?

New Lounger
    Thanks

reinstalling old aps

Yes, I was, but it was a bit of luck, I think. A backup to the cloud seems to have been made when I installed iOS 8, I guess automatically. I had not set her account up under 7, and I know that she hadn't either. When I reinstalled 7 a new backup was created automatically, which I did not want since it had just a couple of her apps. After she was up and running, a list of her apps from the earlier backup appeared (I'm not sure what triggered the appearance), and she just reinstalled the ones that she wanted. They all seem to be working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    Were you able to get all of your wife's apps reloaded and working okay?