Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question New desktop PC setup

I'm setting up a new desktop PC. (Dell, 16 Gb RAM, 32 Gb SSD, 2 Tb HD)

The memory seems to be all C: drive. I would like to reduce the C: drive to the 32 Gb SSD and partition the 2 Tb HD in various ways with the OS's own disk management.

The PC is just updated to Windows 8.1 update, and Mccafe antivirus uninstalled.

Can I just start the machine with the 2Tb HD power connector detached (actually simulating a HD failure) to shrink the size of the present huge C: drive?

What will happen when I reconnect the 2 Tb HD?

The system has no data on it yet, is not backed up in any way, and will never be more simple.

Can't imagine that this a new question .

The method described in the recent Windows Secrets newsletter seems too complicated and risky to me. Especially the line "the wrong click may make the computer unbootable." I make lots of mistakes clicking.

Thank you,

Fimhotep

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think a 32GB C: drive is too small. I run as light as I can and still consume 30GB of my 55GB SSD. You will definitely shorten your SSD life running it near 100% capacity and may run out of space unless you remove / shrink your page file.

To move the boot / system / C: to the SSD use one of the free disk imaging programs listed in this forum - a search will pop them up.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

fimhotep@outlook.com (2014-09-23)

Thanks
    Questions: What are you going to use the SSD for? What are you going to use the 2TB drive for? What drive is the OS installed on?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bassfisher6522 For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul T:

I intend to use the 32 GB drive for Windows 8 operating system and programs only. Files of all types will go on partitions on the 2 TB drive.

Right now Dell seems to have combined the two physical drives into one large C: . When I started the new PC I was not offered the option of partitioning its memory.

I run my present XP machine this way. After 12 years of use, the 40 GB fixed C: partition has grown to contain only 16 GB of programs and related files, still 24 GB of empty space! The other partitions have files (music, photos, Emails, office documents, etc.) that have grown to more than 300 GB.

Thought this was a common way to organize memory.

Suspect that 55 GB memory is all your machine has, right? This new Dell (XPS special edition with 2 TB of HD) is a relative giant.

As I said before, I'd like to avoid using partitioning programs if all that is necessary is to unplug the 2TB drive for one off-on cycle. Kinda hoping the machine will resize the C: down to the complete 32 GB SSD if that's all there is.

Thanks for your viewpoint and time,

fimhotep

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi bassfisher6522,

I would like the 32 GB SSD to contain only the OS and other programs. The mechanical 2 TB HD would be used of data files like photos, media, and such. My present 12 year old XP machine is set up this way.

As I understand (perhaps incorrectly) Dell has blended the SSD and HD on the new machine into mainly one large partition or section. Of course I realize there are some hidden partitions in there too.

My question in this forum is about just disconnecting the HD. The machine will have only the 32 GB SSD working. That's still a lot since there's nothing new to the machine right now except the updates. Will the OS resize the 32 GB permanently to be the home for the OS and any hidden drives?

I could try it and see. Suspect it's wiser to ask in this forum than to jump right in. I'm just an old user, not a hobbyist.

Thanks for your interest,

fimhotep

Thanks
    We need to see what is looks like in your disk management window. What the exact make/model of your Dell PC?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bassfisher6522 For This Useful Post:

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Will the OS resize the 32 GB permanently to be the home for the OS and any hidden drives?
    Sounds like that drive has a single partition of 32GB which does make it 'full sized'. Might look in Computer Management, Disk Management to see the partition/s on the 2TB drive. But it could be that is a Solid-state hybrid drive, not a Dual-drive hybrid system.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_drive

Storage on drives can be done in various ways, one is to repartition them according to use/category.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You will not be able to make the change by disconnecting one of the drives and then firing up the PC.

Please post a screen shot of the Disk Management screen, like the one below. To run Disk Manager click Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

cheers, Paul

Capture.PNG

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Why on Earth would you even consider such a small drive, surely you could come up with
    a decent 120GB drive?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    CLiNT, who are you asking?

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It seems the Dell 2TB drive has a 32GB SSD cache uses Intel's SRT. You may be able to split them in the BIOS, but it's not going to be simple.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    OK, I see.
    I guess the question I should be asking: Is it worth all the effort?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The 32GB SSD is meant to be used as a cache and that is why it is so small. If you want it any other way, it's quite more effective to buy a bigger SSD, which just in financial terms cheaper than spending any time to try to use the 32 GB SSD for something it was not meant to.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What is the make/model of this Dell PC? Is the HDD in question one of those Hybird drives....which after re-reading all this post, it seems to indicate so. And if this is the case, then ruirib is spot on with his analysis.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    What is the make/model of this Dell PC? Is the HDD in question one of those Hybird drives....which after re-reading all this post, it seems to indicate so. And if this is the case, then ruirib is spot on with his analysis.
    The Dell 8700 XPS is one such computer. If you visit Dell's website, you will see that the SSD is not even mentioned. I would be very surprised if it wouldn't be used simply to cache access to the HDD.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-09-23),fimhotep@outlook.com (2014-09-23)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast