Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

This copy of Windows is not genuine message?

I have been using this copy of Windows for over 6 months and now get this message at the lower right hand side of the screen. When rebooted Microsoft has a dialog to click to get "genuine". Offers to download the tools to fix genuine issues. I followed the instructions a couple of times but the tools just sits there saying " this will take a few minutes don't hit the back button" for 30+ mins until I stop it. Anyone seen this?

Steve

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx for the reply. FAQ was good help, the other two are temporary fixes; I am trying to contact the vendor so see if there was an error on my part or to find out if they are legit. My copy of Win 7 has gone all this time and had no problems and I even activated this online and once when I had to change computers. I am copying the Microsoft Genuine advantage diagnostic dump to Microsoft support to see if I screwed up along the line. I will post the result when it happens.

St.

Thanks
    So where did you get your copy of windows from?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.softwareking.com/

I had emailed their support with no reply; I just emailed their sales email.
    When I enter the product ID in the Microsoft site it says that this version is not supported in this country? I don't know whose at fault but it is a big waste of my day.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry wrong site, it was this site that doesn't exist now 2 months later...

www.softdirectworld.com.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    When you go to activate the product and it fails you should be given a phone number to call. Call it and explain the situation to Microsoft. They are generally helpful in this type of situation.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jack,

You may have been sold a volume license key, not intended for resale to an individual. Microsoft MAY help - good luck.

Zig

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 777jackpot View Post
    Sorry wrong site, it was this site that doesn't exist now 2 months later...

www.softdirectworld.com.
    That's the problem with sites like this, they are scams. They get these keys (how/where...who knows) and resell them...which is against MS TOS and not to mention illegal. The only way to to get a legit copy of windows is through MS itself or through bonafied retail stores, in which it's being sold at the full retail price or if they put it on sale.

As Zig points out, you may have a volume license key which has it's own way of being installed. It's not like a retail or OEM install where the individual gets to validate the license copy.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I activated this when I bought, downloaded and installed the software. Microsoft must have got on to them and blacklisted all the product IDs. I am going to download a copy from Digital River and get a key from Microsoft OEM System builder and be done with it. Lesson Learned.

Thanx for the help.

St.

Thanks
    Late to the party but..
    There was an 'Genuine' assurance update recently that if let thru might have triggered that.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx for all the replies; I think the key to this problem is in my reply on the 23rd, "when I changed computers". While buying another copy of win 7 on Microsoft I was looking through their piracy page and found out that OEM copies of Windows is only good on the original installed computer. I reloaded that OEM copy (in question) of Win 7 on a backup computer when one of my main computers MOBO died and reactivated the Windows no problemo. A couple of months later I get the not Genuine message, and that, I should have got. What threw me off is I obviously didn't know about the OEM deal and the website I bought from closed their doors. So now I buy only retail versions so it can be moved to another computer and the product key is good for 32 or 64 bit also as I recall. Thanks...

Steve E.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 777jackpot View Post
    Thanx for all the replies; I think the key to this problem is in my reply on the 23rd, "when I changed computers". While buying another copy of win 7 on Microsoft I was looking through their piracy page and found out that OEM copies of Windows is only good on the original installed computer. I reloaded that OEM copy (in question) of Win 7 on a backup computer when one of my main computers MOBO died and reactivated the Windows no problemo. A couple of months later I get the not Genuine message, and that, I should have got. What threw me off is I obviously didn't know about the OEM deal and the website I bought from closed their doors. So now I buy only retail versions so it can be moved to another computer and the product key is good for 32 or 64 bit also as I recall. Thanks...

Steve E.
    If it was an OEM version and the original PC is dead, Microsoft will let you install on a new PC if you explain the situation to them.
    George

Thanks
    [QUOTEIf it was an OEM version and the original PC is dead, Microsoft will let you install on a new PC if you explain the situation to them][/QUOTE]

I don't think that's true. An OEM version is tied to the original PC it was installed on and when it dies, so does the OS.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    [QUOTEIf it was an OEM version and the original PC is dead, Microsoft will let you install on a new PC if you explain the situation to them]
    I don't think that's true. An OEM version is tied to the original PC it was installed on and when it dies, so does the OS.

Jerry[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Just because your MB dies (and you can't find a replacement or have the PC repaired) doesn't mean you have to buy a new license. If you call Microsoft and explain it to them they may give you a new Product code.

Edit added:

There seem to be differing opinions on this on the WWW. According to the license you can't transfer to a different PC. All hardware can be upgraded except the MB. However I've seen where people say if you explain that you couldn't replace the MB and that the other PC isn't working that they may transfer the OEM license to the new PC.
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2014-10-02 at 12:34. Reason: added paragraph.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast