Thanks

Internet over power line

I am moving shortly and want to make sure that there is ample wireless coverage out by the pool. I am not sure just yet as to where I will set up the current modem and router which is a Cisco Linksys E 1550. I was thinking I could set up a power line adaptor at the router location, then at an outlet near the pool area connect it to another wireless router using the same ID and password.
    Not sure how either... Suggestions?

John
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2014-09-23 at 11:39.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would have thought wireless was the best bet by the pool, or you could use an access point which connects your cabled computer to the wireless. Power line units work well, but could be more expensive than an AP.

cheers Paul

Thanks
    Thanks Paul...Wireless by the pool is what I am looking for. here is a breakout of my thinking:
    Cable Modem connected to Cisco Linksys E1550 router. Router connected to Power Unit which is plugged into an outlet. In the Pool area another Power unit is plugged in and an Ethernet cable from it would run to a second (using the same SSID and password) wireless router....

Never thought about an AP instead of a router but will look into that

John
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2014-09-23 at 11:59.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You don't need SSID/pass with a power line unit, it's effectively hard wired to the router.
    I'm assuming you are connecting a desktop so a bit of waterproofing would not go astray.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks again Paul... I think that I have the final answer, and that would be a range extender....From what I am reading I'm thinking that because I have the E1550 router I will stay with Cisco Linksys on this and use the RE4000W series. I think I will order one just to get familiar with it before the move...
    Thanks John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Thanks again Paul... I think that I have the final answer, and that would be a range extender....From what I am reading I'm thinking that because I have the E1550 router I will stay with Cisco Linksys on this and use the RE4000W series. I think I will order one just to get familiar with it before the move...
    I installed a Netgear range extender for friends of mine a couple weeks ago. Netgear's advice was to plug the extender in roughly halfway between the router and the equipment you wanted to deliver a wireless signal to. So you may not need to place your Linksys unit right at the pool.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, your best bet is a powerline kit which includes a wi-fi access point. The kit will contain 2 units. One unit is a standard powerline adapter. Plug it into an AC power outlet near your new router, and connect it to the router with an ethernet cable (supplied in the kit). The second unit is a bit larger. Plug it into a power outlet somewhere near the pool area where it's safe from getting splashed or rained on! Now, this second unit receives the strong powerline signal and broadcasts Wi-Fi identical to the router. This will give you the strongest, cleanest results. EXTRA BENEFITS: The second unit will also have one (or maybe two) ethernet jacks in case you want to plug something in with a network cable. Also, remember that the first unit (the one near your router) has established a powerline circuit so you may add more powerline adapters in other rooms or areas later on if you wish. Two important things to look for when shopping: 1. 500Mbps rating (not 200Mbps) and 2. Gigabit rating for the ethernet ports on the adapters (not 10/100 rating which could be a bottleneck). Brands offering the fastest throughput include Zyxel, TP-Link, and Netgear.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    John,

Should you go the powerline route make sure you don't plug the units into circuits with ground fault sockets attached. I know the unit I gave my brother for Christmas specifically mentioned this in the installation instructions. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Actually, your best bet is a powerline kit which includes a wi-fi access point. The kit will contain 2 units. One unit is a standard powerline adapter. Plug it into an AC power outlet near your new router, and connect it to the router with an ethernet cable (supplied in the kit). The second unit is a bit larger. Plug it into a power outlet somewhere near the pool area where it's safe from getting splashed or rained on! Now, this second unit receives the strong powerline signal and broadcasts Wi-Fi identical to the router. This will give you the strongest, cleanest results. EXTRA BENEFITS: The second unit will also have one (or maybe two) ethernet jacks in case you want to plug something in with a network cable. Also, remember that the first unit (the one near your router) has established a powerline circuit so you may add more powerline adapters in other rooms or areas later on if you wish. Two important things to look for when shopping: 1. 500Mbps rating (not 200Mbps) and 2. Gigabit rating for the ethernet ports on the adapters (not 10/100 rating which could be a bottleneck). Brands offering the fastest throughput include Zyxel, TP-Link, and Netgear.
    Looks as if there is more reading that needs to be done
    Thanks John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A bit more, the newer technology for Ethernet is 10/100/1000 or called Gigabit. To attain the highest speed all the NICs/Network Interface Card/Adapters have to be the same, easier to do with Desktops than with older Notebooks. Good quality CAT5 Ethernet cable should work but there's CAT5e and CAT6, probably higher.

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I decided that I am going to go with the Linksys RE4000W Range Extender, mainly because the house is older C. late 70's. and I almost could bet the farm that the den circuitry is not going to be on the same circuit as out nearer the pool. Hence problem 1. I think that the RE4000W will do just dandily....
    I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks Again All.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    RG
    Should you go the powerline route make sure you don't plug the units into circuits with ground fault sockets attached. I know the unit I gave my brother for Christmas specifically mentioned this in the installation instructions.
    Same circuit or same recepticle? I have been considering this myself.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Wavy,

Same CIRCUIT! One outlet poisons the entire circuit according to the documentation on my brother's unit. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Same CIRCUIT! One outlet poisons the entire circuit according to the documentation on my brother's unit. HTH
    Ouch! Now I know to read the FM before buying. Thanks.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Well, Cox Cable came out and got my internet and TV up and running. While talking with them it was suggested to try a 2.4/5Ghz modem/router from Netgear. The installer just happened to have in his truck! Long story short, it worked like a charm. There isn't a room in this place where I have less than 4 bars, and the same outside by the pool. The Netgear setup was a walk in the park too. When I tried to connect using the existing usernames and passwords however it all blew up. I kept getting a WPS Error (mismatch) that no one at that level could figure out.
    After multiple tries at wiping the wireless settings clean from the laptops and tablet I was finally able to create an all new SSID, and password.
    All is well now in the land of the sun...... now if it would warm up a bit l would go use the pool

Thanks all for your input.
    Thanks John