New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Word 2013 Table of Authorities difficulties

I am having two difficulties with the Table of Authorities feature in Word 2013.

1. When I follow the advice at microsoft.com about how to add a new category of authorities, I am unable to do so. I go to References - Mark Citation, and click on "Category." That only displays the three categories that are already available. There is no list of numbers that I could use to name a new category.

2. When I insert the the table of authorities in the document, it automatically formats the space between the last text of the entry and the page number with a right-aligned tab, but with no leading ... When I go into the "Table of Authorities" style it only shows a left-aligned tab at .4. When I try to add a right aligned tab with dot leaders at 5.29, it does not show up that way in the table of authorities. It is only by double-clicking on the right tab icon on the ruler that I can call up the formatting for that tab and add the dot leaders. If I have to update the table, I then have to reformat that right tab at 5.29 all over again.

Thanks
    1. I get the box to modify. It is shown below. What happens if you start Word in Safe mode?

2. I just went into a brief I wrote some time ago and do not see the dot leader in Table of Authorities the style, though, it is just there. However, for some enries, where the entry is too long to allow the dot leader, it does not show up. In that brief, I unlinked the TOA field in the final brief and manually edited it by inserting a manual line break at the end of the entry and before the tab. I do not know if this is what you are seeing.

http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide..._documents.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

Calvin House (2014-09-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response.

1. Starting Word in safe mode was no help. In fact, there were no categories at all in the "Mark Citations" box.

2. The problem is not the length of the TOA entry. I insert line breaks while setting up each entry to keep the length of each line down. Curiously, the Table of Contents does not have the same issues. The dot leaders appear for all levels when I generate the TOC. This may just be one of those mysteries I have to live with.

Thanks
    The TOC uses slightly different formatting, by default, than the TOA. It normally uses a right tab with a dot leader to the right of the right indent for the paragraph.

What happens if you start Word without Add-Ins. http://www.addbalance.com/word/addins.htm
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Followup.

I just tried it on my computer and in safe mode you are right, there are no categories. Don't know what is up with that. You can still mark things.

With the /a no Add-Ins command, there are the same 7 entries already there with a number of extras.

The key is the TOA field and the TA fields (which are marked as hidden, like index fields). The links are to the MS reference pages on those fields.

If necessary (and it should not be necessary) you can create your own labels in the fields manually. To manipulate these fields manually, you have to have display of hidden text turned on.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-09-24 at 21:31. Reason: add link
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I started Word 2013 in safe mode, and got the same result. Just three categories listed, and, therefore, no ability to add more. I went back to Word 2010, and did not have the same problem. Five named categories showed up, with a bunch of numbers that I could change to new categories.

Thanks
    Well, I guess for now your solution is to use Word 2010. The screenshot I gave is from Word 2013. Again, check without Add-Ins.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin