Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Old Folder

I just used the Refresh Your PC Option to solve the Keyboard problem referred to in my Keyboard Problem thread. The option worked but the most difficult and time consuming aspect was deleting the Windows Old folder. I managed to delete some files using the Grant Admin Full Control method, but that only worked on about 10 items at a time, and there were thousands of items involved. Finally I used the Unlocker program, and it took a considerable time but eventually deleted the folder, which had over 87,00 files in all, most of them in the win sxs folder.

In case I have to use the Refresh Your PC option again in the future can anyone tell me of a better way to delete the Windows Old folder?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Open Explorer and right click the drive with your OS on it. Click on Properties. Click on Disk Cleanup (under the General tab). Click Clean up system files.

If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click OK.

In the message that appears, click Delete Files and its gone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

royw (2014-09-24)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Calimanco, I should have remembered that, although isn't there a drawback to that method, i.e if I am right you cannot then uninstall any Windows Update previously installed?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Thanks Calimanco, I should have remembered that, although isn't there a drawback to that method, i.e if I am right you cannot then uninstall any Windows Update previously installed?
    The folder is there in case you need to recover the old OS and it allows you to recover any forgotten files. It cannot affect the current installation. Strangely, if you open it, you can run the programs it contains by using their .exe files to start them. As for previously installed updates, I think that, as you have effectively reinstalled the OS, that's now your baseline and previously installed Windows patches wont be removable. I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong on that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Using Disk Cleanup to remove the windows.old file is perfectly safe and is the Microsoft approved way of accomplishing this task. You just need to pay attention to what is selected to be removed. Windows.old has no effect on the current Windows installation other than having files which you may have forgotten about.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

royw (2014-09-25)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks. I did watch what was selected to be removed.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread