5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

September's updating more painless than August's

PATCH WATCH

September's updating more painless than August's

By Susan Bradley

It appears that we'll squeak through September with relatively few Microsoft update problems a relief after the August debacles. Not so for many Apple iOS users; iOS 8 is out, and it's always an adventure when Apple updates an OS.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/septembers-updating-more-painless-than-augusts/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-09-24 at 18:06.

Lounger
    Thanks

Install or not?

A bit of confusion here. Ms. Bradley says the Russian time zone update is optional but then says, "But KB 2998527 is a significant change; you might as well install it, regardless." Why is it a "significant change" for non-Russians such that we "might as well install it" if we don't live in Russia or have Russian correspondents? Does the update improve anything else in the MS time system such as the change from summer to winter time?

-

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Win7 64, I also got an update for the new Russian Ruble symbol.
    KB2970228
    This was one of several tied into problems with the kernel-mode update

And an offer to upgrade my video card driver with one 3 years older than what I have installed. Duh.
    Last edited by DavidFB; 2014-09-25 at 18:57. Reason: added kb

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wayne
    She says it's optional. But the trick is, if you don't keep your world time settings updated, it can cause unexpected problems later. Like you visit a web site thats in English but hosted in Russia. You don't know this but... Your system already has them, so why not keep it current and avoid future strangeness?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing about Windows Update thats really annoying -
    While it was running Update, I was typing away online. The screen popped up saying they were installed and do you want to reboot now? It took the focus and interpreted random typing to mean yes and immediately closed the browser window and began shutdown. It then asked me if I wanted to force-close all the other software running. (no)

Why not require a formal mouse click or Alt-key before starting a reboot? And why close the browser and then ask about the other programs? Windows Update still behaves like a bully.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan,
    Waited for the end of the month, but 2982378 doesn't show in either of your newsletters or in the lounge. It seems to be an improvement to credentials, so I would be hesitant to install it without some guidance.
    Thank you for all your research.
    Willie McClure
    www.datarim.com