Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Enhance Windows' online security with EMET 5

TOP STORY

Enhance Windows' online security with EMET 5

By Susan Bradley

Microsoft recently updated its Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit, a free application that can protect you from dangerous zero-day attacks.

Here's a review of what EMET does and why and when Windows users should run it on business and personal systems.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...y-with-emet-5/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

hatsandcats (2014-09-28),PhotM (2014-09-25)

Thanks
    I tried EMET5 on W8.1.1. It bricked IE so badly I had to remove it, EMET5 that is, not IE. .

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for this article. It's the best intro to EMET that I have seen.

I have just started using EMET. Beyond taking the recommended settings, I'm curious about what additional step(s) to take. Here are some possibilities:

1. Add the alternative browser(s) that you use to EMET. When did this with Google Chrome, I saw that EAF+ and ASR were NOT checked off. Is EMET using some intelligence to determine which options to turn on?

2. I saw mentioned to add "internet-facing" apps to EMET. I prefer to think of this as "internet-using" apps. And I wonder about any app whose only apparent internet use is a "check for updates" or "autoupdate" function, such as Auslogics Disk Defrag and CCleaner. Could these apps be left out of EMET entirely? Or add them last.

3. As programs are updated (for example, fast-moving browsers like Chrome and Firefox), do their recommended EMET settings change? The nervous computer owner could spend a lot of time tinkering with these things.

I looked around for other forums where existing EMET discussions can be found. Here's one:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ome?forum=emet

...where a bewildering number of q&a's turn up.

Thanks again for the article on EMET. A clear and independent voice is much needed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed EMET 5.0 on Windows 8.1 Update (is that 8.1.1?) and IE 11.0.12 works fine. However, because I use Google Chrome almost exclusively, I don't push IE in any significant way.

Be careful out there!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice article but I noticed an error regarding FDIC insurance. FDIC only protects bank accounts from bank failure, not from theft. In addition, the $250,000 limit works for both personal and business accounts.

From the FDIC site:

As of July 21, 2011, a federal prohibition against the payment of interest on business checking accounts was repealed. As a result, corporations and partnerships can now have interest-bearing checking accounts that are insured for up to a total of $250,000 combined with any other interest-bearing deposits the business may have at the same bank, including certificates of deposit (CDs), savings accounts and money market deposit accounts. Also remember that the deposits of a sole proprietorship — an unincorporated business owned by one individual using a business name — continue to be insured together with any personal funds the owner may have at the same bank, up to $250,000 in total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    When EMET 5 came out I immediately installed it, then soon uninstalled it and reinstalled 4.1. OS is Win7 SP1 64 bit. Office Pro 2007 32 bit.

EMET 5 made Office 2007 unusable. All Office apps would try to open, then quickly close. There were no error messages from EMET. With 4.1 the option Deep Hooks often caused Office problems, but unchecking it fixed that. That didn't work with EMET 5. I haven't found any other way to make it compatible with Office '07.

Nor have I found any workable fixes on line. I welcome any suggestions.
    Last edited by Anabaptiston; 2014-09-25 at 11:32.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anabaptiston For This Useful Post:

scottls (2014-09-25)

Thanks
    Thanks for the article on EMET 5 as it was very enlightening. Although you spoke about some of the downsides of running EMET you didn't touch on any performance downsides. Can you or anyone else comment on what one might experience as a performance hit running EMET vs. not running EMET? Also can you remove EMET if the performance hit is too high or you find it has too many compatibility issues?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think more is needed in this article. If you're going to recommend EMET, then you need to discuss in detail the kinds of common problems that will arise and how to deal with them. In my case, it was Excel on a Win 8.1.1 machine. Tried opening a longstanding file I had created, and EMET blocked it and rendered Excel unusable. Even after excluding Excel and rebooting, Excel reported problems and wouldn't start. Uninstalling EMET and rebooting still didn't work. Easiest solution: system restore.
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-09-25 at 15:38.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anabaptiston View Post
    When EMET 5 came out I immediately installed it, then soon uninstalled it and reinstalled 4.1. OS is Win7 SP1 64 bit. Office Pro 2007 32 bit.

EMET 5 made Office 2007 unusable. All Office apps would try to open, then quickly close. There were no error messages from EMET. With 4.1 the option Deep Hooks often caused Office problems, but unchecking it fixed that. That didn't work with EMET 5. I haven't found any other way to make it compatible with Office '07.

Nor have I found any workable fixes on line. I welcome any suggestions.
    Open up EMET 5.
    Click on the apps button
    For each Office application, uncheck the box in the SimExecFlow column
    Click on the OK button.

Worked for me. In general, if you find an application doesn't work after installing EMET 5, click on the apps button, right click on the app you are having trouble with and click on "disable all mitigations" and then click on the OK button. I f the app now works, reenable mitigations in groups until you find the culprit.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-09-25 at 12:47.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Anabaptiston (2014-10-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure where you heard about Business Accounts not being insured but they ARE covered by FDIC.

"Business Accounts
    In general, business accounts receive $250,000 in FDIC insurance. This includes municipalities.

Please note, however, that funds owned by a business that is a sole proprietorship are NOT insured under this category. Rather, they are insured as the single account funds of the person who is the sole proprietor. So, funds deposited in the sole proprietorship's name are added to any other single accounts of the sole proprietor and the total is insured to a maximum of $250,000 in interest-bearing accounts."

https://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consu.../fdiciorn.html
    http://www.tdbank.com/bank/fdic_insurance.html

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka, That's a lot of work for a good application, and one that belongs to MS! Btw, I disabled all mitigations and Excel still didn't work.
    Last edited by highstream; 2014-09-25 at 12:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE stopped working

Just installed EMET 5 after reading this today. Immediately Internet Explorer will not open. It tries to but it says "IE (not responding) and closes. Google Chrome opened fine but I primarily use IE on this Windows 7 machine. I am not an IT pro so I uninstalled EMET 5. Thankfully, IE is now working again. ANY SOLUTIONS TO GET IT TO WORK? I would like to have it on my system.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    jwitalka, That's a lot of work for a good application, and one that belongs to MS! Btw, I disabled all mitigations and Excel still didn't work.
    Did you check the OK button after disabling all mitigations? All I can say that just disabling SimExecFlow worked for me. I didn't find disabling that mitigation for all Office apps to be much work but as you said, I'm surprised the default settings did not work for Office 2007 as they are a Microsoft product.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by southphilly66 View Post
    Just installed EMET 5 after reading this today. Immediately Internet Explorer will not open. It tries to but it says "IE (not responding) and closes. Google Chrome opened fine but I primarily use IE on this Windows 7 machine. I am not an IT pro so I uninstalled EMET 5. Thankfully, IE is now working again. ANY SOLUTIONS TO GET IT TO WORK? I would like to have it on my system.
    To make Internet Explorer 11 to work with EMET 5 I had to:
    Open up EMET 5.
    Click on the apps button
    For iexplore.exe, uncheck the box in the SimExecFlow column
    Click on the OK button.

Jerry

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

southphilly66 (2014-09-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks

EMET requirement for .net framework

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post
    Here's a review of what EMET does — and why and when Windows users should run it on business and personal systems.
    This is on Win 7 pro SP1 32-bit. I thought to give EMET a try, but the installer said I must first install .Net 4.0. Two problems with that.....(1) I already have .net 4.0 installed and both Secunia and FileHippo report it as up-to-date, and (2) .net currently offers 4.5.2, so quite different really.

None of the above gives me much confidence in .Net (just as you say yourself). Nor EMET. Any comments ?
    Last edited by gbhall; 2014-09-26 at 06:04.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast