Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Product Key

I used the Refresh Your PC option on my Win 8.1 64 bit partition and inserted my Win 8.1 disk when prompted to do so. I was not asked for a product key, but Windows is activated. I was intrigued by this and decided to try changing my product key. I inserted my Win 8 key but that was not accepted. (I kept a record of the key when I purchased Win 8, and also checked it with Produkey and Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder). I also tried each of 2 Win 8.1 generic keys, (which I believe I got from a thread on this site, although I am not certain of this), and neither of them were accepted.

In case I have to perform a clean reinstallation of Win 8.1 in future how do I retrieve my product key?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Is this an OEM retail PC and if so, then the product Key is embedded on the OEM mobo somewhere. This is the reason there are no more COA stickers w/the key printed on computers anymore. I've not heard of a way to actually find/pull that embedded product key out.

Does the first key you used before you started messing about and changing the keys, still work or have you tried changing it back to that key yet?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    bassfisher6522, my PC was built by my local computer technician in 2003, since when many modifications have been made. I wouldn't call what I did "messing about".

The key I purchased from the Microsoft Store with Win 8 does not work in Win 8.1.

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think for you to do a clean install of Win 8.1 you would have to first install Win 8 - activate that and then download 8.1 again as it will be the Win 8 product key that acts as the activation for Win 8.1 which is probably why you weren't prompted for a key - at least that is what I understand, but could be wrong (again )

Belarc Advisor may give a different product key for the Win 8.1 http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Edit - Should have Googled this first but will have a read through later http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...all-part-1.htm
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-25 at 11:03.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,thanks. Belarc Advisor gives the same product key as the one I saved in a text file, and so do Produkey and Magical Jelly bean Key Finder.

If the Win 8.1 clean installation works the way you say then I would have no problem with the product key, but I would appreciate definite confirmation that your understanding is correct.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Sudo15,thanks. Belarc Advisor gives the same product key as the one I saved in a text file, and so do Produkey and Magical Jelly bean Key Finder.

If the Win 8.1 clean installation works the way you say then I would have no problem with the product key, but I would appreciate definite confirmation that your understanding is correct.

Regards, Roy
    Have a read through that tutorial I'd linked in Post #4 - haven't had time myself yet.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, I have read it, and it doesn't help.

I would appreciate further advice regarding Post#5

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Looks like I was wrong and that you can do a clean install of Win 8.1 if you have a retail copy with the product key on the box http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w.../clean-install

If you only have the Win 8 key then this article could be of interest http://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-...windows-8-key/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-25 at 19:22.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, I tried to follow the method outlined in your howtogeek link and my Win 8 key was accepted for Win 8. Once the download began I closed the download tool, as instructed in the link, and then went back to the Upgrade Windows with only a Product Key page and clicked install Windows 8.1. According to the link the Win 8.1 setup tool would not prompt me for a Product Key but it did and my Win 8 key was, of course, not accepted.

I would like to try another method. I have the Windows 8.1 .iso file. How do I make a bootable usb drive from it?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can use Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

It was brought out for Win 7 but can be used for Win 8/8.1 and is very easy to use.