New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Defender

Hi all,
    I'm quite new here.
    May I ask you your thoughs about defender? Does it make the job or would you suggest a "real" antivirus?
    Thank you!
    Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBellucci View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm quite new here.
    May I ask you your thoughs about defender? Does it make the job or would you suggest a "real" antivirus?
    Thank you!
    Mike
    Hi Mike and Welcome to the Lounge.

This is someone's opinion of Win 8 Defender and a selection of alternatives http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/wi...ons,2-686.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the answer. I got it. Would you be able to suggest a good AV which won't kill the pc resources?
    Your own opinion, of course.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I use Norton 360 (I can hear the groans ) and haven't noticed any degradation of performance either when I had 2, 4 and now 8GB RAM installed in Win 7 x64, but it can be problematic - especially after Windows Updates and if I need to use a restore point.

Except for trying MSE against Norton to see if there was any difference in performance (didn't notice any with 8GB RAM installed), I've never used any other AV program, so what could be slow for some with Norton 360 - I've never known any difference.

While Bitdefender and Kaspersky are highly rated (both paid for programs), I've come across where Bitdefender has slowed a computer to a crawl and Kaspersky has blocked Internet connectivity to the point where it needed to be uninstalled, although no two computers are the same as each must have happy users.

I've never rated McAfee, but some of the freebies can perform as well as the paid for programs, although AVG has been losing its rep of late because of it becoming bloated and its Secure Search add-on can cause connectivity problems.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-25 at 11:31.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used Avast free for a long time and had mostly good results.
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't had any issues with Free AVG on computers from WinXP through Win8.1. Free AVG doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the Paid-for version but I haven't had occasion to need all of them, keep Malwarebytes on my computer and run now and then.