Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can we use Office 97 on Win8? We're obsolete (but also broke)

we have used our old office on every new pc from 95 to 98 to xppro just fine

will it still work on win8.1 or are we going to have to pay the gouge monthly rental to get an office that works

all we need to do is type letters and edit them
    nothing fancy

i am hoping worst case we need to find some dlls that may be missing

anyone with a clue as to how far back win 8 will still run old apps ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Officially Office 97 will not work with Windows 8. Unofficially, I've seen posts around the net saying people have gotten various Office 97 components running successfully. Outlook 97 is definitely NOT compatible.

If you have very simple needs why not use OneDrive and Office online?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Running XP on a Virtual machine is also a way to run outdated software there. I would set it up without internet access just network access.
    Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

speedball (2014-09-25)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen Office 2000 on a Win8 computer but couldn't find out if they had problems. For those folks such as Seniors with limited funds I recommend either OpenOffice or LibreOffice, both free. LibreOffice 4 can open Works files, both can open Office files except Outlook, no comparable application.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

speedball (2014-09-25)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dont want outlook
    not ever using the cloud

so if it wont hose the machine we will load it and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Officially Office 97 will not work with Windows 8. Unofficially, I've seen posts around the net saying people have gotten various Office 97 components running successfully. Outlook 97 is definitely NOT compatible.

If you have very simple needs why not use OneDrive and Office online?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I won't guarantee anything with Office 97. All I know for sure is that Microsoft says it is not compatible.

Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

speedball (2014-10-02)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Charles Kenyon (http://windowssecrets.com/forums/mem...Charles-Kenyon), who occasionally posts in the Word Forum here, claims to have just about every version from Word 97 onwards installed concurrently on his (Win 8?) system.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

speedball (2014-10-02)

Thanks
    Why struggle with ancient software when you can get a modern office suite for free that is compatible with your Office documents

http://www.libreoffice.org/

Use Thunderbird for your e-mail. If you want a planner, get the Lightening add on.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...don/lightning/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

speedball (2014-10-02)

Thanks
    May I suggest these alternatives.....

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/sof...-money-1139295

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Marvelous, isn't it, how when someone asks whether they can use something they already have and are familiar with (or how to use it), so many people seem to think they should use something else. A good reason for not using the alternatives, quite apart from the inevitable learning curve, is that none of them is fully compatible with even Office 97.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you don't necessarily need Microsoft Word, excellent recommendations have already been made. In my case I am still using volume license Microsoft Office 2000 which I believe cost about $100; it has lasted since 2001 on my Win98SE, XP Pro and now on my 3 Win7 computers 32-bit computers. For Windows 8.1, I'd consider that a new world. If you need Word for only 1 computer consider Microsoft Office 2013 single license program, not the 5 license monthly/annual fee program that normally comes with Windows 8. My friend bought Microsoft Home & Student for a one-time $150 with tax; it doesn't include Outlook and if she gets umpteen years of usage on it, the annual cost is minimal for something that's useful for her. Myself I stay with Microsoft Word and Excel because I have to interact with about 200 volunteers and some associated organizations at the non-profit organization I volunteer at. Those other programs are nice and even though they can be read between each other it can cause confusion when editing documents with every one else. One more caveat; on my Microsoft Office 2000, I do use the Microsoft Compatibility package but that takes only about a minute to install and the rest has been smooth sailing since then. I believe when I do migrate to Windows 8.1 or wait for Windows 9, I'll have to consider the same options you are especially since I have more than 1 computer myself

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Marvelous, isn't it, how when someone asks whether they can use something they already have and are familiar with (or how to use it), so many people seem to think they should use something else. A good reason for not using the alternatives, quite apart from the inevitable learning curve, is that none of them is fully compatible with even Office 97.
    I always give alternatives when the Subject line or the post mentions restrictions such as the part about "Okay we are obsolete (but also broke)". I agree it's good to use what one has but when there's problems solutions may not be found for obsolete software. It's always been a given that software becomes too obsolete at some point, at least since my first computer in '92.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW, can I mention that I use Office 2000 on my W8 and all runs fine. I mostly use Word and Excel, narry a problem.
    It also ran fine on W7 machines. Jean.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-09-28)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    can I mention that I use Office 2000 on my W8 and all runs fine
    You certainly can, I, for one, always appreciate reinforcement of my thoughts, ideas and opinions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton, hello.
    I am also using a french dictionary, le Larousse, on all my subsequent Windows, this Larouse came with Win98 of yore. I had been told by an MS representative that I HAD to upgrade.
    You be good. Jean.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast