no idea why/how it did that
    nor what it is doing that cant wait

i want to use the pc
    it is too slow with mbam running now

how can i kill mbam
    and how can i stop it from launching itself

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With the Premium version check Settings/Automatic Scheduling - otherwise check msconfig to see that it hasn't inserted itself into the Startup menu.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Which version of Malwarebytes is installed? The free version usually can't start itself, has to be done by the User. The Paid-for version does run in the background [will have an icon in the Notification Area] and as mentioned, the settings will determine when or if it runs automatically. I have the Paid-for Malwarebytes (PRO) version on my Win7 and don't see the slowdown.

Thanks
    Hello speedball:

Reference: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Users Guide - Malware Exclusions

If any scans are slowing your system down, frequently an on-access scanner from another product such as a full-time anti-virus application is in conflict, and mutual exclusions can be entered in each application to minimize software conflicts.

Please let me know if you need more information.

1PW
    Malwarebytes Forum Volunteer Helper.
    Last edited by 1PW; 2014-09-26 at 00:56.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    With the Premium version check Settings/Automatic Scheduling - otherwise check msconfig to see that it hasn't inserted itself into the Startup menu.
    thanks

mbam starts up in the background

but this was a self launched full out scan of everything
    that sucked up all the cpu cycles

dont think that comes from the regular start up

i have ( i thought) set the automatic scans to run at 4am so it wont do that interference while i am working

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I just use the free version so that it's just on demand.

Thanks
    When Malwarebytes starts it puts an icon in the Taskbar. It may be hidden so click on the upward pointing arrow to show the icon. Right click on the icon and click on exit. If the program is running, it will show in Task Manager (press Ctrl+Alt+Del)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't get it. I have the free version and so does family member. She complains that it starts all by itself, and so does mine.

In "Advanced Setting" the auto run option is grayed out--but it still starts on it's own.

Thanks
    Download Autoruns. Look under the Logon tab. If MBAM is running at boot, you should see it there.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../bb963902.aspx

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Watch the updates screen/panel, usually has a couple of boxes with checkmarks and the first one is to enable the Trial version, have to uncheck that or 30 days later there is a warning that it has expired. In addition to that there's a few other programs that have their updates set to add additional applications such as JAVA, Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash Player, etc.
    Some examples:
    Add-ons.jpg
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-10-04 at 11:46. Reason: Added image

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    this is not a start up at boot problem

this is a full bore all out SCAN of the pc
    that sucks up so many cycles that i can not do any work

i have the autoscan set at 4am so it wont conflict with me
    but it started in the evening when i wanted to use the pc 100% for me

i like it running in the background for protection
    but not taking over and running the scan on its own

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    ...this is a full bore all out SCAN of the pc
    that sucks up so many cycles that i can not do any work...i have the autoscan set at 4am so it wont conflict with me...
    *If* you leave your PC powered on 24/7 or if you turn your PC on just before you want to use it then the software is doing exactly what you have told it to do.

"I have the autoscan set at 4am..." The program will take this to mean "4am or whenever the system is powered on after that time". If your system is set to "sleep" or "hibernate" then MBAM will not run any scan until the system wakes (whaterever time you have set).

Check your settings!!
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robertpri View Post
    I don't get it. I have the free version and so does family member. She complains that it starts all by itself, and so does mine.

In "Advanced Setting" the auto run option is grayed out--but it still starts on it's own.
    For what you describe to happen you *must* have let MBAM run in "trial" mode.

The free version of MBAM is "on demand" only and does not allow for scheduled scanning or scheduled updating (or any other "scheduled" operation).

As might be expected, MBAM makes it very easy for you to install/upgrade the trial version, but for the purpose of removing PUPs/malware the free version is fine. If you decide to go with the paid version be aware that it will run full-time and so might conflict with whatever other Anti-Virus (AV) program you are running (Norton, McAfee, Avast, Avira, etc,).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i upgraded to teh paid version
    and then the latest update

it only did it once

not sure what their algorithm is
    because i thought i had it fixed so i had to start it
    as we power off around midnight every day and restart about ten am
    so at 4am it should never have had a chance to autostart

still, only happened once, and i killed it and rebooted then things were okay
    but still strange and annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    For what you describe to happen you *must* have let MBAM run in "trial" mode.

The free version of MBAM is "on demand" only and does not allow for scheduled scanning or scheduled updating (or any other "scheduled" operation).

As might be expected, MBAM makes it very easy for you to install/upgrade the trial version, but for the purpose of removing PUPs/malware the free version is fine. If you decide to go with the paid version be aware that it will run full-time and so might conflict with whatever other Anti-Virus (AV) program you are running (Norton, McAfee, Avast, Avira, etc,).

Thanks
    re: puzzling behavior of MBAM; is the trail version and the pro version still defaulted to running at any system startup, along with updating itself before the scan? Unless one goes into the configuration and make changes to suit the PC operator? I can't remember what defaults MBAM Pro had way back when I first installed it.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast